Five still alive

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jwmac52, Nov 8, 2013.

1. jwmac52

jwmac52 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2013
    [​IMG]

OK so they are now about 22wks old....being new to raising chickens I thought they would've begun laying by now...but no...I wonder if different breeds take longer? I'm sure by now they are all girls, but what breeds?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Looks like Easter Egger, 2 White Leghorns, 2 Rhode Island Reds.

With winter coming cold weather and darker days it could take longer for them to lay. Give it time it could be another month or more.

1 person likes this.
  3. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    The leghorn closest to the left looks like she will start laying any day. I'd keep an eye out for eggs and make sure there's no place they can hide their eggs. Other than that, they need 14-16 hours of sunlight to lay. My birds have slowed from 12 eggs a day to about 6-7 eggs a day.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Agreed!

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon

x3

Just watch and wait (and keep a look out for eggs...new pullets often lay in weird hiding places).

Lady of McCamley

6. Michael L

Michael L New Egg

Nov 9, 2013
    When I found the first egg it was in the middle of the run, and then I found some under the coop so look every where. The Rhode Island Red eggs can blend n if you have a dirt run. Once you get a few eggs you can put an "X" on them and put them in the place where you want the hens to lay. Our chickens started laying in September at four or five months old and I removed the "dummy" eggs thee days ago. They have stopped laying outside and now lay in the boxes. Sorry if I sound like an idiot, new to the chicken thing ad to the site.

7. thompson88

thompson88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    tunkhannock, PA
    I always put a golf ball or 2 in a nest and my girls would start laying there eggs there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by