Five week old chicks and the outdoors

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sassychiken, Nov 17, 2009.

1. sassychiken

sassychiken Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Coastal Bend
    SOOOO... Haven't been on awhile 'cause I spend all my time staring at Scarlett, Trixie, and Miss Penny Loo-Hoo [​IMG] However I am wondering about outdoor adjustment. The girls have been outside during the day for about a week now (in S. Texas the days have been anywhere from 70-80 degrees). I've even had them stay outside a bit after dark to get used to it (they know to go back into the coop! Smartie pants!), but I'm still bringing them in at night.

My question is about leaving them out all night. Right now the evening temps are ranging from the mid-50's to mid-60's. The girls are 5 weeks old, fully feathered on their bodies and necks, but there is still some "fuzz" on their undersides. The coop is in a very sheltered nook in my yard, the only winds that could blow on them are southerly, which is off the gulf and not cold. Is it ok to leave them out all night as long as it doesn't go lower than 55 or so, or is that still too cold?

They are at the point where they are obviously a LOT happier outside...and having feathers and poop out of my house would make mommy happy too, LOL! But I don't want to push it if they aren't ready.

Opinions? And to answer the obvious question upfront, I am not able to put a brooder lamp in the coop. [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If they are off the brooder lamp in the house, they are ready to be outside full-time. If they aren't off their heat lamp yet, you might want to spend about a week or so weaning them so it's not a shock to their system.
    I don't blame you on wanting them out. I don't brood in the house because I just couldn't deal with all the dust and smell.

3. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    I would let them sleep outside. Mine were outside full time by 5 weeks and I'm in TX also. I think the cool (but not cold) nights help them feather up a lot faster.

4. sassychiken

sassychiken Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Coastal Bend
    Yeah they've been off the brooder lamp for 2 weeks already...it is so warm down here generally it was at a point where the lamp was keeping them warmer than they were meant to be!

Thanks for the advice...I'll see if I'm brave enough to do it, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by