Five week old chicks, help with sexing please:) Blue Marans, Splash Marans, Araucana

Kbmr

Hatching
Mar 29, 2015

I recently got four chicks to add to my flock, 2 Blue Marans, 1 Splash Maran, and an Araucana. The ones I am most curious about are the two Blue Marans. Both of them have a similar size comb, but the darker one is more pink than the other one. Any opinions on all four chicks would be greatly appreciated. The one in front is the Araucana, the one in back a Splash Marans.

Last edited:
The one in front looks like a pullet. The darker two in the middle look like cockerels. I believe the one in the back is suppose to be the Araucana? If that is the case they are not a single comb breed. I can't tell it's gender yet. Also maybe it is just this photo, but your blues look like blacks.

Thanks for your reply, the picture is pretty true to color, so they could be blacks, although they were sold as blues. The one in the back is a Splash Maran, the one in the front is a Araucana, it has no tail. I will fix that info on the original post.

Sorry, I was looking at the bottom photo enlarged. Now that you mention it the front bird is missing one tail. Not sure about it's gender. The one in the back looks like a pullet. Your two dark ones still look like cockerels. They can have black wings like that and be blue. Their chest feathers should come in blue. I have some blue breeds and I do have Marans, but I do not have blue Marans. If the breeder says blue then lets go with blue. Blue Pullets would have a much lighter blue not black wings.

Back
Top Bottom