Five week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bdowns73, Sep 24, 2016.

1. bdowns73

bdowns73 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Kevil, KY
    Can five week old chicks be put in a coop? We have them in our brooder and they are outgrowing it. We have six chicks. We live in Western KY and they weather this week has been in the upper 80's. We were planning on putting them in the coop today. Next weekend the weather is going to drop to 40-50's at night. We do know we may have to put out a heat lamp next weekend. We just didn't know if they are too young. Thanks for any and all help! We are new to this.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can you take and post a photo of them as they are now? Generally speaking, by 5 weeks they are feathered out enough to be able to move out, yes, but this will depend on the specific breeds, how they have been managed to now (ie have you weaned them off the heat already or are they being kept heat dependent),etc. Additionally - are there other (adult) birds in the coop they will be moving into or is this a coop they will have to themselves? Is the coop constructed to be draft free, especially at floor level where the chicks will be?
    What I can tell you is that I have moved birds out at 5 weeks - I provide no supplemental heat once they are out of the brooder (generally for a week before that as well - so off around 4 weeks) - and they were in the coop for three days before we had a massive weather change that included snow -- chicks were happy as clams in the coop.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    They should be fully feathered and should be fine. If you have several days before the weather change, they will acclimate and you should not need additional heat even at 40-50 degrees if they can get out of the wind.

Adding heat to chickens can be very dangerous, and is not necessary once a chick is more that 4 weeks old, and some (myself included) are strongly questioning that. If I had chicks still downy, without feathers and the temperature got below freezing, I would bring them back to the brooder at night, but not feathered birds, they will be fine.

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  4. bdowns73

bdowns73 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Kevil, KY
    [​IMG]

This is our chicken coop.

5. bdowns73

bdowns73 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Kevil, KY
    [​IMG]

6. bdowns73

bdowns73 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Kevil, KY
    [​IMG]

"She" is five weeks old. We also have a Australorp and 3 red sex links and a production red.

7. bdowns73

bdowns73 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Kevil, KY
    We have kept them in our mud room and it stays very warm so we didn't use any heat and kept the light on 24/7.

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You have a nice coop...Put shavings on the floor or straw...Usually they will huddle on the floor to sleep instead of roosting...Your pullets are ready to move outside...I always turned my heat lamp on at night, spring in Alberta, the nights get cold...During the day heat is turned off to toughen them..It really is a personal preference...Once feathered as your birds are..They are tough enough without the heat...
    Good luck and enjoy the Birds...

Cheers!

9. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    At that size, they should be fine with no extra heat. Just close the windows and doors at night.

One question: Nice coop but where is the run? You need a fenced and topped run before you start letting them out of the coop.

10. bdowns73

bdowns73 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Kevil, KY
    We are finishing it today. We have an old 10x10 dog kennel and attaching it to the side. I will post the final picks today hopefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by