five week old cochin- roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 2kidsn'chickens, May 5, 2009.

1. 2kidsn'chickens

2kidsn'chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Greenfield, MA
    Kernel the white one is I believe a pure cochin bantam. He is getting a bigger comb and it is pink at this point, more so than the photo shows. He also is almost fully feathered now. Is he a he? [​IMG]
    His clutch mate is part cochin bantam I think. Any guesses as to what else? She has only her wing feathers, some on her chest and tail and a very different looking comb compared to Kernel, that has stayed small and not changed color at all yet. [​IMG]

I also have three millie cochins that are three weeks old and one has a larger comb than others. Is it too soon to tell?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for all the help!
    Sara

2. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I always have a hard time telling with the cochins untill they are at least 8 weeks old. I had a roo that diddnt get his bigger comb untill he was four months old or so. I thought he was a hen.

I really dont know.

3. 2kidsn'chickens

2kidsn'chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Greenfield, MA
    Wow, really? well it will be fun to see if my guesses are right or not. I will post some new pics in a few weeks. Thanks for the reply!
    Sara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by