Fix hovabator or get a different (cheap) incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rcstanley, Apr 3, 2018.

1. rcstanley

rcstanley Songster

Aug 2, 2013
    Utah County, Utah
    I have a hovabator 1602n with an added egg turner and fan. I had one poor hatch with it before and one really good hatch. Last time I tried to use it, the temperature spiked to 103 and I didn't get anything from that hatch.

I'm trying to decide between getting a temperature controller (like this $30) to try to get the temperature more stable or just replacing the incubator with a low end one from amazon (like this $70). I will probably be hatching quail eggs for now, and I won't need to hatch high volume. Price-wise, the temperature controller will be cheaper, but $30 is about half way to buying one one of those cheap incubators that seem to get good reviews.

Opinions, oh wise ones of backyard chickens?

2. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    I’m no expert on incubators because I’ve only had my cheap amazon 12 egg incubator and a failed homemade one, but my magicfly incubator usually gets me bout 80 to 90 percent hatched, so I recommend it to everybody! :)

3. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Is your 1602 new? If so, or within a year, contact the company where you got it and complain. I have found that they are pretty good about fixing newer incubators within the warranty period. Good luck!

4. rcstanley

rcstanley Songster

Aug 2, 2013
    Utah County, Utah
    Unfortunately, it's several years old. Otherwise, that's a great idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: