1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fixed hen's prolapse, now she's having more butt problems! PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MikasGirl, Nov 29, 2010.

1. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    My two year old Polish hen, Synergy, has been having some issues surrounding her vent. Saturday, two days ago, I checked on her and she had prolapse. Her vent was out, and she had obviously pecked at it, for it was bloody. I began a grueling process of cleaning it with saline, and I soaked her in warm water for maybe 5 minutes. With it as clean as it was going to get I put some Prep-H on my finger, and very slowly began to push it back in. It was all the way back in, and I was very happy. Almost immediately after, she pooped and it came out. I cleaned it again, repeated the whole process, and this time, it stayed in. I watched her for a while, and it still stayed in. (She had been inside regrowing all of her head feathers before the vent issues) Later on, before bed, I went to check her again. It was out. It wasn't bloody like before, but it was out. I pushed it back in, and we haven't had any issues since then. Until today. About an hour ago, I checked on her and found the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I can hardly describe it. There are some pictures below, including ones from Saturday, and they ARE graphic. Synergy is definetely one of our huge "pet" chickens. Please, any help is very appreciated, thank you so much.

WARNING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Saturday's mess
    [​IMG]

Today's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please help! Thank you!

2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Somebody posted something that looked a lot like that (she had found it in a nest) a couple of days ago to my Chickens 101 list. The general consensus was that it was a deformed egg.

https://cid-4d077b10ff4c880c.photos...ing this thing?Bsrc=Photomail&Bpub=SDX.Photos is the picture of what she found in the nest.

One poster sent her to

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/WeirdEggs/WeirdEggs.html

where there is a similar picture. It is about halfway down the page.

I don't know that it is the same thing. Is the growth attached or is it exiting her body?

3. MikasGirl

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Thank you so much for your response [​IMG] I was worried about pulling at it, so I haven't. My first thought was that it was an egg, but it almost looks like it's something that shouldn't be coming out... I'll go check it right now.

4. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
  5. MikasGirl

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I barely pulled on it, and it ripped. I still have no idea what is, and I am kind of panicking..

6. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Breathe. I hear you. I would be in a panic too. Is there bleeding? If it is a foreign object, she should pass it. Can you keep her isolated?

Quote:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  7. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I would be panicking too... but the best you can do is all you can do. Mine are pets too... I know how you feel.

How about a nice warm compress... maybe she will push the rest out. When you said it "ripped"... is she bleeding, or did the strand just break?

D

8. MikasGirl

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    There was no bleeding, it just broke. Thank for all of the responses, she's not only my pet, but my mom's too.

9. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    My thoughts are with you all and your girl. Let us know how she is in the morning. You are doing all you can for now.

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Do you think you could try a warm bath? I am too new to even guess what is up with that...
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by