Fixing a broken wing on my rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by j1koo, Feb 6, 2015.

1. j1koo

j1koo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Spain
    I've looked on here and followed instructions for a broken wing. My rooster is now moving around like he's drunk, will he get used to it?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you certain that his wing is broken, or could the wing be paralyzed or droopy? Some neurological conditions such as Mareks disease can cause drooping wings, lameness, loss of balance, and inability to raise the neck, and the problem can affect one or both sides.

3. j1koo

j1koo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Spain
    I've completely assumed it was broken, but I have been wondering how on earth he broke it. Although, we have had gale force winds here and I thought maybe he'd been blown into something. I found him on his back in the pen, unable to turn over, so I separated him from the others and brought him in at night because it's really cold here at the moment. He hadn't lost his balance until after I strapped it up. He seems to be more stable now. The wing was dropped so low, he was treading on it. He's eating and drinking well, but he looks pale. Not sure what to do now. They don't seem to treat chickens where I live in Spain, when I've asked the vets before, they look at me like I'm crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by