Fixing a very neglected coop - NEED ADVICE :) while working on it

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KayChix, Apr 29, 2017.

1. KayChix

KayChix Just Hatched

Apr 29, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Hey all! Very new here and to chickens! We purchased 6 ISA Browns who are now 4 weeks old. We got a small 6-8 chicken coop from tractor supply but it seems so small and I already know I'm going to want a couple more chickens by this time next year. So, we bought a very yuck 9x5 coop that will hold about 10, because we figured it was better to have something to work off than try to build our own from scratch.
    My main question is, their nesting boxes are on an upper level. The ramp they had before had a shelf in between, and the ladies used this shelf to roost I think - it had he biggest pile of concrete droppings.
    So we are trying to build a new ramp system. Do you think this incline is to steep? To awkward? The hubs made it very sturdy, it's just the incline and odd shape I'm worried about.
    Any ideas on how to make this better? The door will be in the middle of the front of the coop, and I'd like to not have it in the way of the pocket door that will go in the regular door.
    Also, is the nesting box placement in this coop bad, or is it preferred to have them a bit seperate from where they eat and sleep?
    This old coop came with a brooder box. Are those safe? It's hard wired, but we would have to install an outdoor electric box on the outside and run an extension cord.
    So new here, so any advice is very appreciated!!
    Thanks all![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    The chickens will want to sleep in the highest spot they can find. It appears to me that your nesting boxes are higher than the perch. If the chickens sleep in the nesting boxes, the boxes will get full of poop really fast.

KayChix and Hokum Coco like this.
  3. KayChix

KayChix Just Hatched

Apr 29, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the knowledge! Do you think adding a roosting bar across from the top ramp to the wall would help? Or should we just remove the upper level and ramp, and stack the nesting boxes against the back wall?

4. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Either way would work. I usualy have the boxes lower. And the roost as high as they can fly.

KayChix likes this.
  5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    You definitely have carpenter skills and refurbished your structure well. Your birds will do well in your coop for now. If it were me I would do a large renovation on the inside eventually. I would discard your chicken ramps. Lower your nest boxes 2ft from your floor. Then place a roost, rail, or platform in front of your nest boxes. Place your feeder and water under the nest boxes. I water my birds on the inside only in the winter months. Then cover the top of your nest boxes with vinyl flooring to form a poop board. Finally mount removable roost 3½ inches from your poop board.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    KayChix likes this.
  6. KayChix

KayChix Just Hatched

Apr 29, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Thank ypu for your wonderful suggestions!
    I had a feeling this layout was odd, but I'm glad to know that it should work out for the time being. Though, we may just go ahead and do it now while we are still in construction! Let's see if I can convince my husband to change it up :)

7. KayChix

KayChix Just Hatched

Apr 29, 2017
    New Hampshire
    All finished and totally renovated. It's a much better setup, thanks so much for the advice!!

Attached Files:

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  8. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :thumbsup

9. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I was in agreement with your yuk at how it was.
    You certainly put some serious elbow grease into fixing it up and it shows. NOW it is a nice coop for your birds.
    :clap

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    WOW!!!
    Great Job!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by