Fixing Crooked Beak?

ChazsChikNCoop

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Michigan
I have a pullet that has a crooked beak. The baby didn't have it when it was smaller and has seemed to grow making it worse. It is the bottom part of her jaw islonger than the top so that it can't line up properly. I know this is a common heriditary defect in silkies but since it hasn't always been that way I was wondering if I trimmed the bottom enough she could close her "mouth" correctly. She eats and seems fine, but I looked closely and seems like the problem is the length of the bottom.
hmm.png

Should I leave her be or try to fix? I have some pix but they are blurry. I will see if I can get more if you need them.

I don't know the answer to this one but am very interested because I have one just like the one you have. ANYONE??? Sorry for the bluries in the first picture.

15601_kacey_007.jpg
15601_kacey_006.jpg

Last edited:
I know you can trim it, but you have to be careful not to go too far. Like a cats nails. I have a pullet who was born May11th and she is still doing good. I feed her in a deep bowl to make sure she is eating enough. I also had one that didn't make it. It all depends on if they are able to eat well enough with the beak this way.
smile.png

The case with Fudgie`s chick cannot be corrected. If you have one that isn`t as severe, trim both upper and lower with a nail clipper and finish with a nail file. Be carefull to not cut into the "quick". If you look closely you can see how much you can take off. Don`t expect to get it perfect, but it can be improved.

Mine isn't that severe. So I think I should be able to fix it. Do the beaks regrow?

Oh that is him in my avatar, you can see it isn't noticable them he is about 8 weeks now.

Last edited:
I have 2 with crossed beaks. A SLW from Xtreme that is about 16 weeks old. She seems to be doing well and I have trimmed it a few times. It will never be correct but I hope to make eating easier for her.
And I have a Silkie that has a severe crossed beak but he eats well out of his dog bowl since he can scoop it up and he drinks out of a deep dish also. I do trim it to keep it back since it can't naturally be worn down.
This was taken right before I trimmed it for the month. I do the eye feather trim and beak to really upset him for the day! He really hates it.

9332_crossbeak.jpg

Back
Top Bottom