fixing old shed for pigeons? maybe ducks? just 1 or 2 small wood ducks? not many birds

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by animals1981, Nov 8, 2013.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    Hey guys I moved in here is my shed it is bigger than i thought has to be at least 12 by 10? wooden floors? It is so ugly though :( I want to hire someone to fix it up, but someone who wont rip me off? wish someone knew a trust worthy person in my area looking for work?

ANyones please take a look tell me what you think

I am not savvy when it comes to hiring unknown people because of lack of experience and usually i have a family members help who takes charge in the matter.

inside the shed

http://s22.photobucket.com/user/animals1981/media/IMG_0304-1_zps5e97abce.mp4.html

Here is the outside of shed

http://s22.photobucket.com/user/animals1981/media/IMG_0305_zpscf2f7d29.mp4.html

Here is the material the other owners left inside the shed some metal stuff and wood?

http://s22.photobucket.com/user/animals1981/media/IMG_0311_zpsf319ee96.mp4.html

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have a metal shed for my large fowl chickens.

My DH added vents in the ceiling but had a hard time making them not leak. I would say wall vents next time would be better- which I did add later. He also added two plexiglass sheets for windows in the front above the doors.

The only things I did to it were to cut holes in the walls with tin snips and cover them with vents (louvered), cut a pop door with auto opener added, and put pallets elevated on concrete blocks for roosts.

Oh and covered kitty litter pans for nest boxes. I use sand sprinkled over the floor and in the nest boxes, and scrape with rake / scoop with kitty litter scoop daily. I am not sure this would work for ducks though as they have the liquid poo...might need to install some kind of bumper to keep bedding out of the door track.

Mine has to have the doors left open during the day in summer or it is too hot. In winter I can leave the main door shut and they go in and out of the pop.

In winter it rains condensation and I have to bleach it out once a year, but we are in almost constant rain and morning fog here in the Pac NW.

3. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    thanks, did u get to see the video? this shed has vents already? do you think it is a man work shop ? its so massive i never seen one this big before.

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Deleted

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  5. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    wow yyou have an amazing set up i am going to copy some our toronto weather is mild compared to u guys lol I use to live in ottawa and it was worse than here even

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    @1981 Depending on your winters I would suggest putting in hinged wooden doors instead of the sliding type in your shed. You will find your track may give you nothing but heartache during the winter months (ice and such). I now have one inner screen door (ΒΌ" hardware cloth) that I use for ventilation. I would also suggest insulating your metal shed as well (especially against the heat chickens can not stand much heat).

7. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    I have a quick question thanks for a web footed bird like ducks on top of wood should i put wood chips or soil for the winter? their crap will freeze. Just one small duck. It is like a mallard cross or something i am not sure about 1 pound its not that messy though like the other mallard types? I have had it for a long time. It got attacked a long time by a predator and was given to me has perm damage to one wing.

I cleaned it up and am going to put the duck in today its VERY unhappy living in the basement in a cat crate with the dog and cat around. She wont even eat and its not like the other animals are allowed to go near her crate and even look at her, I think shes use to huge spaces (she lived in a 8 by 8 shed before to herself) that she is just unhappy not being able to move and streach.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by