Fixing splayed leg complications in chicks

Danielle Coop

Hatching
Dec 9, 2015
So... I have just had some chicks hatch, and most hatched fine... however, I noticed one had splayed legs. It is approx one day old now and I have made hobbles for it to bring its legs in as advised by the internet, but as a result of this, it is walking (stumbelling/flopping along) on its hocks. Because of this, all the tender skin covering its hock joint has rubbed off so it now has wounds on both legs. I have given my best attempt at bandaging its legs to prevent any further damage, but was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions to help me????
Many thanks,
Danielle

You can try a chick chair to get it upright, and put some food and water close to it. The chick may have slipped tendons or leg bone deformities rather than splayed legs. Those are not very fixable, but I would keep trying to get the chick to start eating. Here is a little to read about leg deformities: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1051/leg-health-in-large-broilers/

6612_chick_chair.jpg
LL

An update... It has been two full days since the chick hatched and I am begining to get a little frustrated... I am having to syringe/drop water into its mouth because it wont drink, and it wont eat either. It seems to be getting stronger however, but cannot stand upright... Instead it just uses its legs to scoot its self around... Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated regarding its legs OR how to make eat and drink as my brain is out of options...
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom