1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fixing to sell non-laying hens as meat birds sadly

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by floridachickhatcher, Jun 17, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    We bought 10 BA from a lady few months ago i think and i told my mom i think they were never laying in the first place and that she sold us hens that are too old to lay so we tossed them into the pen we made for roosters and non-laying hens with 2 nesting boxes and if by tuesday no eggs we are going to put an ad in the paper to sell them as meat birds for $5 they are really fat hens but my mom says no one will pay that?

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Man,that's a bummer! Are you sure they aren't stressed and that's why they aren't laying for you? Are they molting? Just trying to think the best as I'd hate to think you got shafted [​IMG]

3. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    even an old hen should lay an egg every now and then. are they getting laying mash and oyster shells?

4. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:LOL!! Yes they are! OMG we know they are they are fat as hell! Well i asked my mom could they be in a molt? but we have no clue how old they are a BYC said if you feel their legs and they are rough and cracked thats a sign they are a really old chicken and i felt them and they are really cracked and course Oh and the lady yeah she shafted us she sold us White Rocks saying they were White Wyandottes....I mean hey we love the WR they are a beautiful chicken and tame cause my mom can pick one up and pet her and she loves it as do my nephews ^_^ and they are BA cause they have that green tint on them and plus the RIR she sold us and the BA alot of their feathers were missing they were pecking the hell out of each other and we thought they were malnourished and had feather lose LOL as soon as we put them in with our RIR they made them look the same as them pecked out as hell the only ones who arent pecking is the WR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by