Flaky legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CaliTX, Dec 27, 2012.

1. CaliTX

CaliTX Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Central TX
    Someone gave us a hen last night and I just saw her feet this morning and they are very pale, flaky.. almost chalky looking? She also has diarrhea. I apologize for the low quality pic, I just had my cell phone. I can grab the good camera if needed.. what is this and what should I do to treat her? She is rather lethargic, I had to pick her up off the roost and put her outside.

[​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I cant tell from the picture but she probably has scaly leg mites. Put petroleum jelly (vaseline) on her legs.

3. CaliTX

Jun 30, 2012
    Central TX
    Thank you. After I posted this I went through searching the forum and found you can also use vegetable oil? So I put some in a bucket and scrubbed her legs with a toothbrush. Would vaseline be better? And how often should I reapply?

4. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I would use vaseline but ive never tried the oil so I don't know about that. Depends, I would try 1 or 2 times a day.

5. CaliTX

Jun 30, 2012
    Central TX
    Thank you!

6. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Glad I could help.

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Ouch! I have read on the forum ( in the past) that it is not a good idea to scrub the legs with anything abrasive - normally as willowbranchfarm says vaseline is very efficient and you only need to apply every few days - the idea being that the vaseline smothers any leg mites and also offers the added benefit of making the legs resistant to water too! I would reapply maybe once or twice a week ( make sure you apply the vaseline up to where the feathers start on the legs) - new scales will form in a few weeks

Suzie

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2. I thought I read that the scrubbing could introduce infection. It was on the web, so it must be true, right? [​IMG]

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she has leg mites, she probably has other parasites as well. If she were mine, I would weigh her, dust her with poultry dust and deworm her with Safeguard for Goats/Cattle (fenbendazole 100mg/ml). I worm mine at 50mg/kg ( .5cc/kg) by mouth and repeat in 10 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by