flaky skin around new feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jiskra, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Jiskra

Jiskra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Maryland
    My 7 month old puller went throughout what I thought was light molt. She has new feathers growing in on the area under the vent where all the fluffy feathers are and I just noticed her skin is super flaky and found few yellow scabs too. Is this normal? My other 3 girls don't have this. She seems healthy, eating, drinking, laying. She does seem a bit skinny - all 4 of them do actually. I never weighted them before so I am not sure if they lost weight but their breast bone is protruding a lot. They get some protein treat almost everyday. Am I overthinking this?

Picture:
    [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    That looks normal too me. All that flake is the outer "skin" that covers a newly growing feather. As they preen this "skin" off, it leaves all those tiny flakey like things on their feathers.

I think she is fine. :)

3. Jiskra

Jiskra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Maryland
    So its been few months and her skin hasn't improved, it actually seems worse now and she stopped laying again. I soaked her in epson salt bath today and took some new pictures.
    She also had this explosive diarrhea like poop which really looked like grass clippings mixed with water.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This doesn't look normal to me :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by