Flame Jaerhon, White Giant, Blue Giant, White Minorca

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenCanoe, Dec 17, 2010.

1. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have some confusing birds, please help. Possibilities are White Minorca, White Giant, Blue Giant or Flame Jaerhon. The first 4 are one bird in question
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    others
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]The one in the middle, the others are Anconas
    If you need better pics, I'll try when they are outside, they aren't very cooperative.
    Thanks.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    They are mixes.

The first one appears to have what I call "ghost barring" coming through and it would be a result of crossing something barred with something carrying Dominant White.

The first one pictured under "others" is Splash colored so it may be a splash Giant or a mixed splash colored bird.

The one beside the oyster shell bag is a mix your sure from that coloring.

And the one in the middle of the Anconas appeares to have a bit of EE or Ameraucana influence but not pure.

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    [​IMG]

4. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Well, in photo 3 and 4, you may have a gold laced Wyandotte...hard to tell, does it have a rose comb?

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    yes thanks, I know I have some gold lace wyandottes, wellsummers and partridge rocks. It was the light/white birds I had trouble with. I'm supposed to have 2 white minorcas but can't seem to identify them. Anyone see any? Out of 54 birds I did have 2 chicks die but I'm sure at least one was a dark breed.

6. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

1st one looks like a Jaerhon [​IMG]

7. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    If you know they're purebred, first one and the one by the oyster shell bag are Jaerhorns. If they might be mixed, then probably all of them are mixed.

Where did you get them from? The splash ones (the ones with greenish legs) are the only ones that could be "blue," but they're not big enough for Jersey Giants. Could be some hatchery's idea of JG, but if you got these from Sandhill (the assortment names and the fact that you also got laced polish and laced wyandottes and anconas makes the group sound like Sandhill's) they're not. We have JG from him and they're twice the size of their agemates.

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks. This group are all from Sandhill. I forgot to mention they are 8 weeks old. They specified there were 17 varieties all together. The ones I know are JGs are pretty big for 8 weeks, not quite as big as Freedom Rangers the same age but 50% bigger than the egg breeds.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  9. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Did you get the mystery assortment, by any wild chance? He'll put chicks in that one that he knows are not correct - wrong leg color, for example, or wrong number of toes - but he doesn't call them purebred. I got some lovely Dorkings from him with four toes - he didn't call them Dorkings, just "filler chicks"; they kept me guessing forEVER. If you got that assortment, the splash birds could be a bunch of things but my best guess would be his easter eggers and he gave you the ones hatched without muff/beard.

10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You guys all have me thinking. It wasn't the mystery assortment but the fall assortment. Since I didn't care a great deal I assumed he would list some as experimentals or fillers but the list stated only specific breeds. The list did state 1 Ameracauna which I have w/muff and all.
    I was going by the list but now that I have crosses in my crosshairs I'll go with my original plan since I had no idea if I would get 1 breed or 50. I'll add the pullet breeds I don't already have(white, green and terra cotta eggers) to my hen flock, eat the boys and sell spare pullets as egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by