Flappers got hit by a car

Tom NJ

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
So, I had two hens and a drake - Penny, Tickles and Flappers. Tickles and Flappers are mallards and Penni is a Cayuga. A couple of weeks ago Tickles flew away for a few hours, but returned. Yesterday at lunch time, Flappers took off and left the girls behind. He didn't come home to go to bed with the girls. So, I figured he was either gone for good or maybe he would show up this morning. Our house sits in the woods and is set off the road 200ft or so, so I didn't think the road would necessarily be an issue. Well, this morning my wife calls while on her way to work and says that Flappers is lying in the road up the street. I went up and got him. Looks like it had happened some time after sunrise, because, well...just because. Very sad.

I didn't want mallards when we got ducks. I had bought Cayugas because they couldn't really fly and they look nice. This was exactly why I didn't want a flying duck. Anyway, when we got Penny and her mate, the mate died the following day. So, we made an emergency trip to TSC; and, of course, all they had were mallards. So, we bought them. I must admit, I loved watching Flappers and Tickles wing around the property. The kids thought it was really something, too.

So, now I am wondering if there is anywhere in NJ that I can buy a single duck? Ideally, I would like to get a Rouen or another Cayuga drake - to reduce the flight risk. Any ideas?

Thanks.

sad.png
What a bummer. I would have never thought of that being such a problem. If you haven't already been on the NJ thread, I'd check there. Lots of people that have chickens have ducks too and they might have one available. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=537 Also, I see lots of ads on craigslist for drakes that people don't want. It's always harder to find females.

So, I think I am going to order a pair of Rouens. Do you think that I will have a problem introducing them into the flock once they are old enough?

I'm so sorry and now exactly how you feel. Same thing happened to my Leah girl, she was a Mallard too. Luckily I got to hold her in my arms the last half an hour of her life.

My deepest regrets. I do feel for you. I had a goose hit by a car one evening...it didn't kill her but it messed her up and she died the next morning...it is very sad. I am again, sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom