Flapping roo, what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkiesRawesome, Aug 21, 2010.

1. silkiesRawesome

silkiesRawesome In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    My 5-ish month old Silkie roo stands up very straight and flaps his wings when I either come near him or "chick chick chick" at him. Wondering what this means? I assume he's trying to protect his lady friends from me, but hoping maybe it means he's happy to see me or something? [​IMG]

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Songster

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I think it means he's thinking of challenging you. I would not allow him to do that. I would take a broom or something and give him a whop (not hard) and make him move away. I don't even let my rooster stay in the coop if I'm in it. I make him go outside and stay there until I leave.

3. silkiesRawesome

May 23, 2010
    EEk, is there any alternative to hitting him? In general I'm just not a fan of physical discipline for animals...

4. joemwm

joemwm In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    your rooster is showing off his virility he is starting to mature

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:Do a search on how to train a roo on good behavior. There are many threads out there on it. I would start now though. You could wind up with a big problem.

6. silkiesRawesome

May 23, 2010
    I'm on it, thanks!

7. joemwm

joemwm In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    and you don't have to hit him I use what I call the walk though method walk directly at him and make him move out of your way I have a very large columbian rock roo that my wife was scared of til she started doing it,it stopped his agressive behavior towards her

8. silkiesRawesome

May 23, 2010
    Appreciate it! Esp because when you Google rooster training, all it has is how to train them to fight! So would picking him up and petting him when he does this be a bad idea? Can I kill it with kindness or does that reinforce the negative behavior?

9. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

Quote:Everything depends on the rooster; they're all different, just like people, and they're just as hard to change if they're the sort that you don't want to be around.

10. Tiss

Tiss Songster

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I usually flap my "wings" back at them and walk toward them until they back off when my roos try that wing flapping nonsense. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by