Flaps his wings to crow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FisherMOM, Oct 27, 2008.

1. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    My 6 1/2 month old RIR flaps his wings every time he crows. AND, he barely opens his beak to crow. It is so funny to watch him.

Does anyone else's rooster do this?

Here he is flapping and crowing! lol.some times he is more like a dog than a chicken. When we walk through the trail in the woods to go to my mother in law's house, he follows us. And then he follows us home. it is the funnies thing. I need to video it.

[​IMG]

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    That's awesome! My chickens also act more like dogs than chickens and follow me around everywhere. Whe I pull into the driveway, they come running!

Do get that on video! That picture is priceless!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, you definitely need to get it on video.
    Mine make a half-hearted attempt at flapping their wings before crowing. It's like okay I have to do A before I do B.

4. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    You ought to see him fight with the ducks.

If the weather is good tomorrow, I will let him out and have the camera ready. He starts his day by trying to kick some duck tail, but then they gang up on him and he ends up getting chased all over the yard by ticked off Pekins! lol!

After they get that out of their system... then they just do their own thing.

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I had an RIR that did the same thing! He now lives with ChooksinIowa so she would have to tell you if he still does it. It was so funny to watch!

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

about 7 of mine do the same thing,, the others flap their wings right after crow'n ,,, they do it to make them seem bigger,,, lol [​IMG]

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    My Slyvestor thinks he is destined to be in the movies or tv commericals because he always has to be up on something in order to crow, just like the movies.
    He usually flys up to the top rung of the day roost in their run, but the top of the water jug will do if the urge to crow hits him and he thinks the roost is to far to travel. As soon as he hits his mark he flaps his wings making sure he hits the tops of his wings together in order to make additional racket and draw more attention to himself and then crows for all the world to hear.
    His picture should be by the saying "cock of the walk" because he is full of himself, I just love that rooster!!!!

8. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    here is another picture of him getting ready to crow!

[​IMG]

9. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Scooter.. that is so funny. How can you not love a rooster that has so much personality such as that, ya know?!

10. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Fishermom,
    Now that fall is here the girls and Slyvester get to run around the yard after I get home from work. Slyvester thinks it is his responsiblity to come up to the house to let me know that it is his and the girls bedtime and to come down and lock up the "big people" door so the big bad coyotes don't get them. So he flies up to the railing on the patio and crows to let me know it is dusk.
    I have to admit in all the 40 years I have had chickens this rooster has the most "personality" I think of any I have ever owned.
    I did raise him and several other chickens from the moment they hatched and they stayed in the house for two weeks and they were handled a lot as chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by