Flat Claws/Nails on New Chicken

RachaelV123

Chirping
Nov 1, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am new to the group so this is my first post. I didn't see this issue under injuries but it's possible I missed it.

I just took in two new hens about 5 days ago. The person we got them from saved them from being killed by their current owner but he didn't really have the room for them. So we took them since we do. I don't know what kind of conditions they were living in but it doesn't seem like it was good. One hen is missing the tip of her beak. She's petrified of us going anywhere near her. They both have extremely long claws. The one with the broken beak are normal looking besides the length though. The other hen is very comfortable being held but her claws are flat. Like something smashed them all down. I've never seen this before. She doesn't seem to walk any different due to that issue but I don't want it to be something related to a vitamin deficiency.

Any suggestions on the cause or what I should do? They're just being raised as pets so I won't be raising them to be eaten, if that makes a difference with possible treatment options.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Rachael

Yes I definitely will. I'll be going out to start my morning routine so I'll try getting a few then. If it helps I believe they're Sex Link or Star breed. One is red/brown and one is black with the iridescent greenish feathers. The red one is the one having the flat nail issue. Also, with the broken beak issue, is it possible for it to grow back? How serious is it? She only struggles to eat if something is on a really flat surface.

Alright I have some pictures. I am exaggerating a little when I say the claws are flat. They're not completely flat but they don't have much of a curve, the front is more rounded than having a point, and it's rubbery in texture.

Attachments

• 20211101_080557.jpg
    20211101_080557.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211101_080609.jpg
    20211101_080609.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 3
Those nails don't look abnormal to me, the one is just over grown. Trim them back a little at a time, making sure you don't cut into the quick. If you can post a picture of the beak it might help to tell what's going on there. If it's just a minor break then it may grow back with time, beaks tend to grow slowly. As long as she can eat and drink it should be fine. Feeding and watering her in raised, open, deeper dishes will make it easier for her to eat. Also mixing some feed with water to make a mash may help her also. I do see some very slight raised scales on a couple of toes so I'd consider treating for scaly leg mites just to be safe. Cover the legs with any vegetable oil (I like castor as it's very thick) using a soft toothbrush to work under the raised scales. Cover with vaseline. Do a few times a week til they start looking better.

Thank you! They just looked different than what I've ever really see before but I am also a huge worrier and think the worst when there may not even be a problem. That and how they're really rubbery just was new to me. You answered another question I had, about being able to cut their nails or not. I thought it was something I could do but wasn't positive. Do you recommend any specific clipper type?

Regarding the other chicken, I'll try and get a pic of her beak later on. She does seem to be handling it really well. I make sure to make piles of food so it's not flat on any harder surface. I do let them free range and she handles that very well too. I will try to raise up a water dish for her though. Just in case. I don't want her to have to struggle if I can help it.

I don't know if you saw the picture in a recent post about a broken beak due to a possible fox encounter but that's identical to how mine looks minus the blood. In fact, it looks like it could be my chicken. I'll still post pictures, in case you don't know what post I'm talking about, but it won't be until later this afternoon.

Thank you for your help so far. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom