Flat roof on a 4x8 coop (UPDATED WITH PIC)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mikecnorthwest, Apr 19, 2009.

1. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    EDIT: Based on all the responses, which in a polite manner led me to believe I'd be a dumb**s for doing a flat roof, I went ahead and put in the trusses for a pitched roof. Thanks for helping me head off a mistake. See the pic below.

I'm building a basic coop which is a little under 4x8. I'm trying to build as economically as possible so I designed the coop to use a single 4x8 sheet of plywood as the roof. It will be primed and painted. I also want a low profile so it is not visible above the fence line (suburban backyard). Has anyone else used a flat roof of this size and have you had any water issues? I'm assuming that with the small roof size and the fact that it probably won't be perfectly level, rain water will find a natural runoff point.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

You`ll get 2-3 years out of that Mike. A little longer if you cover the roof with felt or asphalt shingles. A little pitch will go a long way also. Sometimes you can find roofing scraps in dumpsters at housing projects. Ask first........Pop

3. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I'd suggest using somewhat warped/bowed rafters to give the roof a little bit of a "dome" to promote runoff. Otherwise it will likely sag and develop a low spot in the middle. db

4. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    For what it would cost for the plywood,primer and paint you could get painted metal roofing or cheaper yet galvinized metal roofing.With a slight pitch everything will slide off.Just plain painted wood won't last long.I have a small summer coop that could hide behind a fence. Will
    [​IMG]

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I had a flat top in a low rainfall part of the NW. Unfortunately, I could get quite a lot of snow in the Winter on that roof. Every year over about 10, I felt it needed to be covered with a tarp as additional protection. How 'bout a bright blue tarp for your low-profile coop, Mike [​IMG].

Finally, I got up there and put on a pitched roof. For a small structure, it only took a couple 2 by 4's as purlins and a couple sheets of metal roofing. I'm so glad I finally got around to doing that.

You can see my 7' by 7.5' coop on my BYC page.

Steve

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What Will said. You can do a pitched opaque plastic or metal roof for about the same price, it will work much better and last much longer.

I heavily recommend doing what you can to get a decent pitch on your roof (like at least 1 foot in 6, if not more), such as the above... BUT if you still are really intent on using a sheet of plywood, get a heavy clear vinyl shower curtain (liner) and put that on top of the roof, TIGHTLY and carefully (fold the corners neatly and thoughtfully, staple well, stretch well while stapling). I've got that on my tractor and it's been through 2 summers outdoors, plus a winter in the garage and a second winter outdoors-but-under-a-roof-overhang, and it is still tight and watertight. I'd expect to have to replace it every couple years if used on a real coop, but, still.

A proper roof would be a lot better, tho.

Good luck,

Pat

7. backyardchickenfarmer

backyardchickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    yes, I have a nieghbor who has a 4x8 coop with a flat ply wood roof that is covered with roll-roofing, it leaked a few years ago but he fixed it and now (about 8 years total) hes ripping of the roof and pitching it, so i would go ahead and doa little pitch, it will save you headaches in the future. just my .002

8. SMan

SMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Ridgefield, Wa
    If all else fails use a 2x6 to pith the roof and a 2x4 for middle support, and pitch it 6"(5.5") on the 4' side that should work, but no mater the pitch keep heavy snow from building up.

9. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Bump for update with pic.

10. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:That looks great.If you are going to keep it in that spot,center it and have your metal extend past the bottom raised bed and you'll never have water issues.(high and dry so the run off go's outside of the bed) Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by