Flat stiff cheesy masses in cavity

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PatS, Sep 15, 2012.

1. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Hi, We killed and cleaned our two turkeys today. Both had very gassy intestines and each had a few yellow masses inside the cavity, not attached to anything. I have never seen this before. The birds were about 4 months old and free ranged, fed organically. We had put their poult-mates down months ago due to respiratory problems that developed after using wood chips in the brooder -- but these two seemed to recover. The chickens they lived with never had so much as a cough (and were unremarkable when I butchered them).

So stiff, yellow, flat cheesy things in a cavity, about the size of a 50 cent piece. I thought is looked fatty. Any ideas?

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    My first thought with the description before opening the post was egg product from internal laying. But at 4 months old I'm not sure that's a possibility, especially with turkeys. I hope someone else has some ideas.

3. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Thank you. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned they were both males. In addition to the external signs, I did find small internal ones as well. =) I'm positive they were both male. I'm wondering what kind of infection or problem could cause the yellow stuff? The hearts were both healthy, one liver was perfect, the other was a little grayish the way they can sometimes be, so I threw that one out. Gizzards were perfect. Lungs were not great, redder and a bit foamy, but I cut their windpipes and they might have aspirated blood before they passed? No nodules, no yellowness in the lungs. They had had a respiratory illness when they were young and on top of that we've been smoked out for weeks by a wildfire that made breathing hard for everyone.

Their poops has been very good, so I was surprised at how much gas was in their intestines. I've never seen that before in the dozens of birds I've processed or the rabbits I've done. I didn't see any parasites through the intestinal wall, but I did not cut open the intestines to look more closely. My mad-scientist inclinations have their limits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by