1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flat Tires on my Chicken Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by suzyQlou, Mar 14, 2012.

1. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    The winter's been mild, but still rough on my coop. Specifically on the wheels. Every time I go to move the tractor, I find two flat tires on my coop. Since I've only been moving the tractor once a week, I've been applying the lazy-man solution. A can of fix-a-flat to the rescue [​IMG]

Now that Spring is here, I'll soon be moving the tractor daily. So I need a more permanent solution. I could simply patch or replace the wheels with new ones, but would I have the same problem next year? Maybe I should just get rid of the pump-up tires, and get some rigid ones.? Or maybe I should rig some kind of support (thinking "up on blocks") for when the coop's at rest so that it doesn't have to support all the weight all the time? Other suggestions? Thoughts?

Here's a photo of the coop for reference. The wheels are 8 inch swivel wheels from Harbor freight. The coop is 3' x 4' and pretty darn heavy. Here's a link to the wheels: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-pneumatic-swivel-caster-42485.html They're supposed to support 280 pounds.

[​IMG]

2. JPinnell

JPinnell New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    I'm surprised they held air that long :) The HF tires will hav ethe same issues. Temp swings are hard on those small tires holding air. I'd put some slime in them, and block the coop up when not transporting it, and they'll last much longer.

- JP

3. The Old Whittler

The Old Whittler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    I have 4 - 10" pneumatic tires on my chicken tractor. When I first put them on I had the same problem you do. The two on the back had loose valves inside the valve stems. I tightened the valves and that fixed the problem. With the two on the front one had a loose valve and the other had a bad tube in it. After I tightened the three valves and replaced the tube they've done fine all winter. The two on the back were a different brand and came from a different place than the ones on the front and none of mine came from Harbor Freight. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm with JP on this one. Slime works much better than Fix-a-Flat. It's worth the trouble of letting all the air out of the tires.

5. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    So "Slime" is a real thing? Is that the real name?

I'm definitely going to check the valves. If only it would be so simple! But long-term, I'll have to figure out an easy way to get the coop up off the wheels. I did use the car jack a couple times for this, but I can't imagine doing that every day. The coop's too heavy for me to just lift it by myself. I see some kind of a lever system in my near future. Should be a fun project.

But before I knock myself out, do I just need bigger, stronger tires?

6. JPinnell

JPinnell New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    I've seen solid tires for a 2 wheel hand truck at HF for reasonably cheap. Do some measuring and see if they fit your wheel brackets and swap them out. I can't see with that coop design why you would need swivel casters on the back? Might just be easier to mount some "no flat" wheel barrow tires on there for $25ea. "Slime" is a brand name of tire sealant, it's even neon green. The smallest tube is less than $10 and should easily fix those tires on your coop, also it would be the cheapest option.

- JP

7. BillinPA

BillinPA Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Greencastle PA
    The slime is sole at pretty much any auto parts store or even wally world in the auto section. It's bright green you can't miss it. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by