flavor affected by plants?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by caliclucker, May 2, 2011.

1. caliclucker

caliclucker Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Will different types of plants change the taste of eggs?

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I am not sure about most plants, but I know that if your hens eat onions or garlic that flavor can be transferred to the eggs. But eating greens in their diet helps egg yolks be richer colored with a lower level of cholesterol.[​IMG] I think very strong flavored or spiced food of any type can potentially affect the flavor of the eggs.

3. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    Garlic can flavor the eggs I gave my son some eggs one day and he called and said some thing is wrong with thees eggs they taste like garlic [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    MOst greens just make for better eggs but it takes very strong flavors to come trhough in eggs. I tried feeding my chickens jalepenos, onion and tamotoes to see if I could make salsa eggs. No luck [​IMG]

5. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Mine turn their beaks up at onions and garlic. They eat just about everything else, including stink bugs, with no change in flavor. [​IMG]

6. 1shelby1

1shelby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    whine cntry,ca.
    ...waiting to see if mint will be a flavor factor
    I 've planted a few sprigs-but you know mint!Heard that rodents don't like it though...
    Anybody have 'minty' eggs?

7. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    I am shocked no one considered chocolate, or maybe a little coffee? heehee [​IMG]

8. Daphne16

Daphne16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:I asked that a few weeks ago and was told mint does not change the eggs taste.

9. caliclucker

caliclucker Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    I was wondering because my girls have been eating a lot of mustard greens lately. Good to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by