flavored oatmeal okay for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OHChick, Feb 11, 2008.

1. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    this is a silly question but i bought a box of Quaker instant oatmeal cinnamon & spice flavor and the packets don't dissolve right. i've had this happen before, its like the oatmeal is stale or something. so for me, the texture is gross and i don't want to eat it.

my question is, is it okay to give to my hens? i know it has sugar in it, and i usually try to avoid giving them sugary stuff, but i hate to throw out food.

ideas?

thanks in advance.

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I would think that since you don't do all the time, and if the chickens like the flavored oat meal, let them have it!! I hate wasting food also and rather it go to the dogs, cats or chickens!

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I think it would be to high in sugar? I usually buy the plain oatmeal. Cook that and add bannas and yougurt toped with a little scratch. mmm... [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2008
  4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Edited b/c it was no longer needed [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    oops lol

6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Add some regular oatmeal or pasta to it, chickens don't care what it looks like, they'll love it just the same!

7. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    thanks all. i just mixed up two batches, need to heat water and take it down to them. yesterday was -22 wind chill, like 0 for actual temp. i want them to be toasty warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by