1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flax Oil?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by zion11, Jan 1, 2015.

1. zion11

zion11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Anyone ever heard anything about adding flax oil to chicken food (layers or meat birds)? I googled it and only found info about flax seeds added, but not the oil. I have multiple extra bottles of the stuff that I'd like to (probably slowly) give to them.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    A little never hurts. It is 100% fat so chances are they could get fat because they still will want to eat their normal feed. If you make a mash treat, give them a few Tsps on it. I'd give it to the dog myself.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Flax oil can go rancid quickly, so it should be kept refrigerated. As a side note, there was some research years ago that was inconclusive, but suggested that flax oil can be irritating to the male prostate. I don't think roosters have a prostate, but I could be wrong. Back to the human thing, the flax seeds were not an irritant, but the oil was. I haven't heard of any such suggestive issues for women with flax oil.

No wonder I couldn't stand the stuff! This is coming from a guy who enjoys cod liver oil, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by