Flax seed and oil for humans

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wendy, Jan 21, 2009.

1. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Who has tried either of these or both. For how long and can you tell any difference?

I was reading online all of the possible benefits. I know it is not proven. But my dh says there is no way one product can take care of so much!

Just wondering who uses it and what you have to say. I have been taking it for 1 week now. I have asthma and allergies, I read about diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol and even more things it helps.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Flax oil is OK, but fish oil is more bioavailable.

Some of the benefits are over blown, but with diets so high in omega 6's, getting your efa balance corrected CAN make a big difference.

I did not know how much good fish oil was doing for me until I ran out one day. With in a day or two, I was having joint pain, headaches, and carpal tunnel flair ups. My allergies got worse too. Then I remembered I hadn't been taking my fish oil. I ran out and bought some and the next day I started to feel better.

The other supplement that has made a big difference is vitamin d.
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

I have tried other things, but these two have made a noticeable difference.

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    You typed efa, what does that stand for?

I saw the link you put in there. I took vit d supplements for awhile and felt bad so I stopped. Go figure !

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    EFA = Essential Fatty Acids.

"Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are compounds that cannot be made by the body, but are required for many crucial biochemical processes. There are two groups of EFAs: omega-6 and omega-3. The relative levels of these two groups of EFAs are critical to the health and development of the brain and the body. If the level of omega-6 is much higher than the level of omega-3 in the diet, there can be negative effects on cognition, mood, and behavior. (1-4).

The ideal ratio between these EFAs has been estimated at 2.3:1 omega-6 to 1 omega-3 (5). Most American diets provide too many omega-6 EFAs and not enough omega-3 EFAs, giving a ratio estimated at between 10:1 and 20:1 omega-6 to 1 omega-3. (2-5). "

What dose of the D were you taking?

5. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Flax seed is not the end all cure all it's trumped up to be......
    BUT...
    Flax seed oil is high in O-3 EFA that is known to help with a plethera of ailments, and ground and sprinkled on food etc..., Flax is good to help with constipation. (as is any WHOLE grain...)
    Recomendation is a table spoon per day of oil
    OR 2 to 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed per day.
    You can look in the internet for recipes using flax seed. It's good stuff, sort of nutty.

6. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Keep flax in the refridgerator to preserve its benefits. Fish oil stands up to room temperature better, but a lot of people have trouble with "fish burp".

7. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    And just a warning- don't eat those 2 or 3 spoonfuls of flax seed on the first day, or you will have a serious case of un-constipation. You gotta take a little at a time, til you build up to that amount. Flax is like super-fiber.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Flax is great to add to your baking as well. Most grocery stores sell it in the baking section.

9. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I use flax seed oil for womanly issues. I sprinkle it on my toast in the morning and I have seen a difference. I've been using it for about 9 months. It was expensive though and I keep mine in the fridge.

10. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I buy flax seed at my feed store in 50 lb. bags. I love it. I grind some and keep it in the freezer for my use. I also add it whole to my chicken feed and goat feed. I add 2 cups to every 50lbs of feed. I use it in everything. I put it in my oatmeal and when I bake bread. I put it in my juice along with Phillium in the morning. It is a great source of fiber...Gloria

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by