Flax seed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mags2009, Nov 6, 2009.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I decided to go look on Eggland's Best website from all the hoopla surrounding another post, and wondered why they thought their eggs were "best" and possibly better than mine from my girls. I noticed that in the feed for their hens is flax seed, which is VERY healthy and a great source of fiber and omega 3. Anyone add this to their feed? I do have some milled flax in the cabinet.

By the way, I agree with the other poster: NO EGGS can compare to our FRESH EGGS!!!![​IMG]

2. chickcritty

chickcritty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I don't add it to their feed but it is in their treat jar in the form of seeds, along with sunflower & pumpkin seeds and quinoa.

3. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    While we are at it, if anyone has a great deal on flax seed, I would be interested to know where you buy it.

4. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    I would like to know how much flax seed I need to feed each hen daily to obtain the same percentages Egglands gets. Maybe I should just eat it ditrectly.

5. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I've started mixing a small handful to their morning warm oatmeal breakfast... figure they like it and it can't do any harm, only good!

It's whole flax seed though, not ground.

I get a 2lbs bag for about $2 at the grocery store.

6. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I feed my girls oatmeal in the mornings also... could I use the ground?

7. GA Peach in VA

GA Peach in VA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Central Virginia
    [​IMG] I just bought a very smalll bag of ground flax seed and it cost me $4.99 at Wholefoods. It was organic too. I think I will look for it cheaper somewhere else. I had just bought the crew some flockraiser to up their protien and wanted to add this to their feed. I'd like to know how much to add to have any impact on the eggs. Right now I only have 2 layers. UGH!

Angie

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I once got a bunch of flax seed at a co-op on sale for like a dollar a pound... I think waiting 'til you find a sale might be best. Also, I've heard that it makes the hens lay less...

9. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    chickensducks&agoose :

I once got a bunch of flax seed at a co-op on sale for like a dollar a pound... I think waiting 'til you find a sale might be best. Also, I've heard that it makes the hens lay less...

Why does it make them lay less???[​IMG]

10. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know. But I heard it somewhere on here. I'll try to find it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by