Flea Market Chickens?

sticks22

Songster
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
Grove, oklahoma
Is buying chickens at a flea market a good idea? They seemed healthy, but had alot of feathers missing from their rear and neck area (hens). The people I was going to buy them told me that they were just molting but I knew better! I guessed that they were mating them, then when they were done with them then they decided to sell them for a quick buck.
What do you folks think? Would you buy them?

I never bought full grown chickens from a flea market but I got some chicks, frizzles(decided I wasn't so into them and ended up giving them away) and IDKWIAs which I thought at first may be easter eggers because one is bearded, but they said the parents were laying brown eggs and they didn't know what they had in them either. They are pretty though.
I'd say check them out carefully, one thing I didn't do at the fair last weekend...And as everyone says, keep them separated from your other chickens for a month. Good luck

I agree with your assessment, sticks22.

I've read too many horror stories here to ever buy a chicken from any place other a reputable breeder or hatchery. There are just too many unscrupulous people out there.

I have only bought chicks at a flea market but I've had friends buy grown chickens and they ended up being sick.

I was at a pet store to buy some goats milk and they were selling RIR and they had so many feathers missing. While I was waiting I was helping a guy catch one. I so bad wanted to tell him to not buy them but I could. I did tell him to seperate them from his others for 30 days.

jackie

I had a family of coons eat my flock one day so I replaced them with started birds from the auction. They were about 12 weeks old and in perfect health.

You can buy old birds too if they look healthy. I wouldn't buy birds missing a lot of feathers because it is too hard to tell what is the cause.

I have bought chickens from a flea market and had very good luck with them. Though I do suggest doing the quarantine for at least 30 days and watch them carefully. I only buy from one guy at our flea market, no one else there. If you do decide to purchase them make sure that you check them over really well for bugs and for sores on their body too.

2 weeks ago I took started pullets to a flea market. I sold everything I had and people were asking for more. I got a lot of compliments on my birds. They were beautiful and healthy.
You just have be observant and careful no matter where you go. You look for quality. If it's there buy it before someone beats you to it!

You might want to do a search on biosecurity.

I would never buy birds from a fleamarket, there are too many good breeders you can buy from privately and also get a look at the parent stock.

I'm sure that there are some people who sell quality birds at fleamarkets, but I think they are few and far between, just not worth risking my entire flock looking for a bargain.

I agree with everything said and I wouldn't buy grown birds at the fleamarket. Had I not sold my chicks today though, I would have sold them there. Just be careful and observe what you are buying. Sometimes reputable breeders need an outlet too.

Back
Top Bottom