flea meds????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by siz8003, Aug 17, 2008.

1. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    does anyone use Revolution for Dogs? What is you take on it is it worth getting?

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    It works well but I prefer to use Advantage as Revolution makes my white dogs loose their hair LoL
    You can get cheap flea meds thru: www.entirelypets.com

3. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    thanks I hate fleas and they just keep getting back in [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I've used several and found frontline works the best. I use it on my dogs, cats and chickens (the spray)! [​IMG] no one has a thing ever. Never had any in our house either and we are in the country.

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Please be careful what you use. So many manufacturers warn owners not to get the product on their skin; why would you want to pour these chemicals on your pets? [​IMG]

6. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    We tried Advantix - vet recommende, still saw and found fleas. Went back to plain old Advantage and thought the 2 B***H*S went to visit another flock of dogs who did have fleas, none seem to have made it home. So until it does not work, Advantage is our first choice.

Edited to add: Where we live there are no ticks! In the mountains, maybe, but not here in the lowlands.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I understand not liking the idea but when my son is allergic to fleas (very badly allergic) I have no other choice. I have to be sure they will not enter my home...and I refuse to keep my pets locked outdoors. I have always used frontline on all my pets and they have lived long lives. My afghan hound lived to 20 yrs old [​IMG] I also do not use them as often as they say on the package...it works longer then three months. I have tried natural flea protection but always ended up with fleas in the house.

8. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    If you have always used Frontline and it works for you, then keep using it!!
    Our doctor quit carrying Revolution, not for it's flea abilities but we had 5 dogs come up heartworm positive on it!!!!! I would never ever use it for heartworm prevention, there are too many variables that can go wrong, it being rubbed or washed or licked off.
    For flea control me and dbf have used Adam's flea spray on the hunting dogs with great success, you can spray it on their bedding and on them and it lasted us up to 5 weeks once before we started seeing fleas again.

9. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I love love LOVE Frontline Topspot! I remember how it was before that stuff came out... I worked at a vet hospital and we would sell flea powder and collars... Then Topspot came out and BAM fleas weren't such a big deal anymore! The cool thing about TS is that the fleas don't have to bite the animal for it to work (unlike the pill flea meds) and the pesticide that is used only effects insects! It has no effect on mammals! (Although something in the mix can make some people get a rash - I never have though!)

I can say though, I did try the discount topical drop treatment Hertz put out... I can't remember the name... But I put it on my greyhound and he went BONKERS like it BURNED! So he got an immediate bath... I won't use THAT again!

10. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I vote for Advantage, manufactured by Bayer. I LOVE Advantage, we used it inside the vet clinic. We never used anything else in the boarding kennel at the vet clinic. People would bring animals in to board and they would be covered with fleas. We would start with a Capstar, if it was REALLY REALLY bad, but we always used Advantage. It's awesome.

I have stopped using Frontline, it just didn't seem to work very well. I saw a drop in flea populations, but they were still around.

Now with Advantage, I see maybe one or two fleas, but I know they will die quickly after biting the dogs. But, this is what I use on my dogs, all three come into the house.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by