Flea/Mites/Lice + Injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sutherland906, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Sutherland906

Sutherland906 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    We brought our bantam roo into the house earlier this week due to an injury. We noticed him hopping around on one foot, but getting around ok (as he was a good distance away from the coop/run area). It seems to have turned a dark color. Our other roo has been picking on him lately, and we think maybe he forced him out of the coop one night.. we're concerned it was frostbite. Anyway, we brought him in.. lukewarm bath & tlc. Seemed to have feeling in it, as the water touched that leg he drew it up further. He had ample time to adjust to temps inside the house before putting him in water. He has been putting it down occasionally, but not seeming to put all his weight on it. Nothing seems to be broken. Anything else I can do?

The bug... We noticed while keeping him crated indoors, a little tiny white looking bug. It seemed to disappear into his eye. Gross! I started searching of course, and was thinking maybe flea. But the description said brown, not white. It was smaller than a grain of rice, but still visible.

Any insight is much appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. LittleBrownie

LittleBrownie Queen of Stache

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    My hen had the same white bugs as well. (mostly around the eyes I presume?)
    He most likely has mites.

To treat it, use poultry dust.
    Just apply the dust in his feathers throughly (avoid contact around the eyes) probably once a week and weeks after that. Just check his feathers occasionally to see if the mites are gone.

It works really well, my hen no longer has mites and hasn't had them for a long time.

Sorry that I couldn't give you more help on your injured roo. I haven't dealt with an injury before..

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  3. Sutherland906

Sutherland906 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    I haven't noticed any bugs on the others, but did a full clean on the coop. They lost their sand bath spot when the snow came, so I gave them a tub in their run with wood ash..OK to mix dust with ash?

4. LittleBrownie

LittleBrownie Queen of Stache

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    I'm sure it'll just be as effective if you mix the two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by