Flea season

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by daniii213, Apr 2, 2016.

1. daniii213

daniii213 New Egg

Aug 18, 2015
    It's the time of year were the squirrels have fleas and dogs get them and i noticed one of my chickens have little bugs is there any thing i can do to prevent that. I know dogs and cats have collars for that but do chickens do also.

2. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I use wood ash in their dust bathing area. You can also use Sevins Dust the same way. Good luck with your girls.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello! [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. guineapeeps

guineapeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    In Limbo
    In the past, I have used diatomaceous earth and put it in their dust bath, but have also used sevin dust when I had mites. For severe cases, I have also heard of people doing the using sevin dust in a garbage bag. They put the chicken in the bag with its head sticking out the top, of course. Then, shake the bag, thereby dusting the chicken's body with the dust. If you use either sevin or diatomaceous earth, make sure you wear a mask as it can be dangerous to breathe in.
    I recently read on this site that people use wood ash, which would be much safer and less expensive. I'm going to try it this year instead of going the pesticide route! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by