1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flea Treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cel45, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    So, what is the best way to treat for fleas in my yard? I have my cats on Advantage II, but still having fleas biting my four year old inside. I am going to bomb the house, and have applied granuals to the front yard but want something save for the chickens in the back since they peck around, etc.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Permethrin 10% spray is safe for chickens, but it will kill bees. I don't know if DE or diatom work or not. Perhaps others will have suggestions. I would probably leave the yard alone since it is always dangerous to something or someone to use pesticides unnecessarily. Maybe treat your child with Deet before she or he goes outside, vaccuum floors and seams, and treat the inside with a safe commercial product that gets insects and lasts for 3 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by