Flea Treatments?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by onemotherslove, Aug 10, 2011.

1. onemotherslove

onemotherslove Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    North Central Texas
    We recently got a puppy. When we got her she had a few fleas, as do our cats. But today, after the dog was in the barn and under the porch where the chickens were escaping from the heat, the dog came out literally crawling with fleas. You could see them all over her, on top of her white fur and down in it. Obviously we will treat her, but I wonder if it's safe to treat the area under the porch and the barn with sevin dust with the chickens there? They're scratching & digging & dusting themselves in both places. I don't want to poison the chickens, though! Help, anybody?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sevin 5% is OK to use around chickens. It is one of the recommended treatments for mites & lice.
    A lot of people use it on the birds, in the coop and in their dustbath.

Imp- I sympathize, I'm battling fleas also.

3. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    Go a get some Food grade diatomaceous earth and dust your chickens and your pets with it. It will take a couple of times but its organic and non toxic. I use this once a month in the coop as well, dusting down the floor and the laying boxes. This can be used in the food mix also as a parasite killer for the internal bugaboos. The food grade will not harm an any way you or your chickens/animals. It is deadly to the parasites and bugs. Once ingested by the bugs it acts like a piece of glass and cuts them up internally.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by