fleas, and mothering too.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Oegipus, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Oegipus

Oegipus Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    Hi evrybody,

Im almost positive that my chickens have poultry fleas. I went to the feed store, but they carried nothing specific. Only nasty sprays designed for lice, I think. Does anybody know a good way to treat fleas? (good=effective, and low impact, if possible)
    Also, is it normal for a hen to stop caring for her young at around 5 weeks?
    Thank you.
    Gobblegobble

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I would say she has lice. If you see it, she has it pretty bad. Did they have anything that is powder for treating lice.

3. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a great link with photos so you can determine what you're dealing with and it provides info on how to treat: http://ucanr.org/freepubs/docs/8162.pdf
    If
    after reading this you still believe your chickens have fleas, they may be the "sticktight" variety which is usually found attached around face, eyes, wattles and comb. You don't say what part of the country you're in, but I believe sticktight fleas are mostly found in the southern U.S.

As to your second question, mama hens will begin to ignore their babies around 4 weeks. By 5 weeks they can become pretty short-tempered with any chicks that want to continue to hang around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by