fleas are other animals right? just not wanted!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by arabianequine, Aug 8, 2010.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 4, 2010
    K well I swear I just seen a flea on me and I went to kill it and it jumped so I have 5 dogs and one indoor cat. What should I get to treat everyone that and my carpet? I don't care if it is two different products either. What works the best but the cheapest?

Thank you!

2. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Nothing cheap once they are in your home. You will have to treat the animals and your home with products that have "insect growth regulator" in them. I wouldn't mess around and go straight for something that will kill instantly and continuously on your animals, Frontline or something similiar. Expensive yes, but will work with one application. For your home, you will need to use foggers, sprays or powders. You will need to treat multiple times, because NOTHING kills the pupal stage.

When we had an infestation, we spent over $200, over about 2 months to finally get rid of them all.

3. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Caution on powders. They will null and void any warranty on your vacuum. Learned about this from my Dyson dealer.
    I stick to bombing the house and vacuuming the leftovers.
    Unfortunately the fleas are outside too so even if you do get rid of them inside and on your pets they will still be carried back inside.

4. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    My mother powders our house about once a month or more, and our cats and dogs all get Frontline treatments once a month. Expensive, but it's effective.

5. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    I ordered frontline a big dog doses so that I can treat everyone. I know the proper dose to give each weight animal I have. Now the carpet what kind of product and I don't care about the vacuum we just have a cheapie vacuum. The best vacuum we ever had for its money and last long enough to be worth the $50 bucks spent on it. We do need a new one though but no warranty on this one now anyways.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Frontline, advantage, capstar, revolution etc.... There are several good products to kill fleas. If the infestation is not very bad you don't necessarily have to treat anything but the pet. Fleas will die quickly when not on a pet and cannot live on humans. Just do not buy any of the cheap over the counter treatments by hartz. They are very dangerous with a high side effect rate. Many people have lost their pets from using these products. Do not use flea collars. They are not very effective and not all that safe. Overall the cheaper you go the lower the odds you will manage to get rid of all the fleas and the more risk there is to your pets. The exception to that are a few products like Sentry's line which even includes a chemical free mix of essential oils for repelling fleas but all the prescription flea treatments are still going to be more effective.

Personally I went to using revolution despite the slightly higher side effect rate and cost when compared to other prescription flea meds because fleas and ticks are building tolerance to the more commonly used ones and it also kills heartworm as well as a few other things. In the end it was no more expensive to use revolution than to use 3 different medications on the dogs every month to prevent both internal and external parasites.

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    If your vacuum does a half-decent job, one of the most effective parts of flea control is to vacuum the house, at least once (twice is better) per week. Pay particular attention to places like baseboards, and the crevices in whatever furniture the animals may get onto. Flea eggs are not adhesive, they get laid on the pet and they fall everywhere. If you can pick the eggs up before they have a chance to hatch, that can be half the battle.

8. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Don't do the cheap stuff, I bought flea stuff from Wal Mart (Hartz brand) and then googled it, its bad stuff. Would not use it on my animals.

I bought Frontline for much cheaper than the vets on Ebay. Vacuum Vacuum Vacuum! We did powder on the carpet then vacuumed, washed everything, and bathed the kitties with Dawn soap when we were waiting for the Frontline to get here.

Good luck!

9. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    What is the stuff called that I would put on the carpet? I thought I seen another thread about this and now I can't find it. Posters were saying to use some stuff but I don't recall the exact name it was safe for pets but killed the fleas.

10. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    DE works in the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by