Fleas every where help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ashleyann, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Ashleyann

Ashleyann Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    I've tried many different things to get them to go away as they are getting worse and now have no feathers what can I do? [​IMG]

2. Ragdollcatlady

Ragdollcatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Have you tried to smother them with vaseline? I would use eprinex. I use about a 0.5 cc and put a drop under each wing, on the back of the head/neck, under all the butt fluff and a drop on each thigh. I make sure to get it on the skin. I would put a drop or 2 directly on the back of the neck right where they are to see if it works. I don't know specifically about those black fleas, but this works for lice and mites. I would see if DE or sevin powder in the bedding/ house could help to control them as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You've dealt with this problem before, last summer. What did you do then? In any case, Ragdollcatlady offered excellent advice.

4. Ashleyann

Jan 12, 2013
    They didn't have them last year last year they were all sick and we lost a few. But I will try what you guys have told me

5. Ashleyann

Jan 12, 2013
    Yes I'm sorry we did have this problem last year but they weren't as bad

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Are they fleas or mites? I was Able to completely rid my birds of northern foul mites by using ivermectin 1% . There are many suggestions on how to use the ivermectin but what worked for me was mixing one part solution to two parts water mixing then taking a small arts paint brush and painting it on the skin of the back in two spots.i also dabs a bit under each wing. They were completely covered in mites now the mites are gone!! For the crest (I have silkies) I used a different clean paint brush and brushed some poultry powder on the skin. I repeated a second ivermectin dose exactly 11 days later. I had such a severe case I had to go to the ivermectin. The mites were brought in from a new bird. Now the mites are gone. I'm pretty sure ivermectin would work well on fleas as well. If you don't have success with the dust you might consider using the ivermectin. If your case is severe.it worked wonderfully for me. However their is a egg withdraw time so as a last resort consider this treatment. I tried powders first but her case was so bad I needed something stronger. Hope this helps. If the powders work I wouldn't bother with using the ivermectin then but if you can't get a thing to work then you might consider trying it. Best of luck

7. Ashleyann

Jan 12, 2013
    I'm pretty sure they are fleas they jump and bite they are also getting in my dog now too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by