Fleas on a chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flock-mama, Jun 26, 2008.

1. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I have a BO that is 2 yrs old, her butt looks poopy and bare, as I looked closer there was little black bugs on her back. I was going to use some mite dust like I do every year, but these look like fleas. Bigger than a mite. The poopy, remindes me of baby chicks with poopy butt. I have never wormed or anything except for dusting for mites. All my chickens free range so maybe she ate something funny. Any help would be great!

2. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    I would use a flea and tick shampoo for puppies or kittens. Thats what we use it also kills mites. Wash them with dawn dish soap to break down the oils in the feathers first then with the flea shampoo. make sure you have some thing in the sink for them to step on. I use the bathtub feet grips. Then towel dry. we use a blow dryer on our birds and they love it.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  4. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    are you sure they aren't stick fleas??. they are a problem now

5. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I don't know what stick fleas are. She looks like the only one, I don't have anymore coops to put her by herself.
    So you really just bath your chickens like a dog? I had to do it once to get loads of mud off a hens back, but I thought I was crazy doing that. I didn't want to hurt her.

6. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Ok I read that link, thank you. I think that may be what it is. So mite dusting might help. I will get some and try.

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm wondering also if you should put some Sevin or Dri-Kill anywhere your birds dust bathe. Another way to keep fleas at bay is to use a hanging no-pest strip (pyrethins) made by Black Flag or Vapona. Can be used in coops, barns, homes but not over water/feed or where animals might get at them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by