Fleas on chickens?

SunshineChick

Chirping
15 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Texas
My next door neighbor has a flock of chickens that she has offered to give me to go with my flock. It's about 20 hens. I have that many. BUT! She says they have fleas?? I'm very leery of putting that flock in with my healthy ones. Is it safe? What can I do to insure they fleas aren't brought to my flock?

Don't bring them in till the fleas are gone or you'll have to treat your building and all the chickens. If they bring them in, your whole place will be infested.
That was my thought exactly. Any recommendations on the best product to use? I have diatomaceous earth.

Give her some diatomaceous earth/fullers earth to add to their dust bath. It's available at pet stores that sell fish. Then get a chicken safe insecticide that takes care of fleas, mites, and lice. Use it on the birds and move them to a quarantine area. Treat them again when the directions on the insecticide say it's safe to do so. They'll need to be quarantined from your flock while being treated. No sharing space, feeders, waterers or the same ranging area. If you quarantine them in their old home you'll need to spray roosts and clean as best you can. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling any of the birds. Before combining the flocks carefully examine all birds in both flocks. Wash thoroughly between the two flocks. If you see anything concerning delay the merge until you know what you're seeing.

And maybe think about whether you really want those birds. Even if chicken; math doesn't make you count them they're going to create more work and cost for feed. Unless you like the chickens you're just doing your neighbor a favor by taking them off her hands. If I were you I probably wouldn't add them to my flock health concerns, neighbor drama, and if they were great chickens would she really be giving them away?

Give her some diatomaceous earth/fullers earth to add to their dust bath. It's available at pet stores that sell fish. Then get a chicken safe insecticide that takes care of fleas, mites, and lice. Use it on the birds and move them to a quarantine area. Treat them again when the directions on the insecticide say it's safe to do so. They'll need to be quarantined from your flock while being treated. No sharing space, feeders, waterers or the same ranging area. If you quarantine them in their old home you'll need to spray roosts and clean as best you can. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling any of the birds. Before combining the flocks carefully examine all birds in both flocks. Wash thoroughly between the two flocks. If you see anything concerning delay the merge until you know what you're seeing.

And maybe think about whether you really want those birds. Even if chicken; math doesn't make you count them they're going to create more work and cost for feed. Unless you like the chickens you're just doing your neighbor a favor by taking them off her hands. If I were you I probably wouldn't add them to my flock health concerns, neighbor drama, and if they were great chickens would she really be giving them away?
I've already asked myself all of your questions & pretty much feel like you do. I'm not sure I want the hassle! I love my chickens & enjoy them. I'd hate for them to become "hard" work! Thank you for your thoughts.

I agree with both of you. Starting with infested or sick chickens is an unnecessary hassle.
If you don't have a quarantine coop far from your chickens, treat them at your friends' property till they are clean or don't take them.

Ohhhhhhh this sounds like something that could be regretted. Before making tough decisions, I always try to ask myself "if this goes wrong, would I be able to say that I made the best decision at the time? Or would I have to admit that I knew better and did it anyway?" Basically, in the future - if it goes wrong - could you defend your decision?

I am not you, so your situation may make this a good decision! I just know that getting them would not be a defensible decision in my situation.

Best of luck!

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts on this matter. I've definitely decided to NOT take the chickens. My flock is just as happy as can be! I don't want to rock the boat! :p

Back
Top Bottom