Fleas? Seriously?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5Leepy!, Jul 22, 2011.

1. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I saw a small black bug on one of my Hens today. It may have been a flea, it was about the right size and it moved quickly although I didn't see it jump. I wasn't holding her and I only saw the one run between some feathers as she was grooming herself. Fleas are bad around here and I'm sure they're all around the yard where they free-range. Would they be on my Hens? We've been dusting them with Sevin to make sure a lice infestation is truly cleaned up so I guess Sevin isn't working on whatever that bug was.

Should I treat with something else? Perhaps Eprinex? I really want to use something that has no egg withdrawl if possible but want to make sure it's effective on fleas if that's what she has. I've been reading that Eprinex is good for external and internal parasites but haven't read that it works on fleas specifically. Also, what's the best way to treat? I don't want to do injections or meds added to water (I have a watering system). That leaves oral and topical as options. We also have some 11 week olds that I guess I'd want to treat as well.

Also, if it wasn't a flea, what was it? The red mites don't stay on the birds and the black ones, I've read, burrow into their combs & wattles like a tick. This wasn't either of those kinds.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    5Leepy!

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I talked to an expert pest eliminator who also happens to have chickens and he said chickens don't carry fleas. He said they could get some in their coops but can't get them like a dog. I would just change the shavings and sprinkle a little livestock dust or diatomaceous earth. If you want, you can bathe them too.

3. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not suggest using Sevin it is POSION!

Can’t be good for birds certainly not good for eggs that you may be consuming.

Throw that stuff out just use DE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by