Fleas

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MomtoSyd&Emma, Jan 14, 2010.

1. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Is anyone else having trouble with fleas this winter? My parents dogs and cat have them, they have done the house cleaning, bathed the animals (even the cat) treated them first with Frontline Plus, then Biospot, and Spot on, nothing seems to be cutting it this year!Anyone else battling fleas on steroids? lol

2. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Meee but for some reason just the dog, they aren't on the cat or biting me or in the house. I just keep FINDING THE BUGGERS all over her belly. I've tried bathing, three different drop treatments(two from vets), collars, baking soda baths, natural oil sprays(like with cedar oils and stuff according to the ingredients list) you get at the pet store, and even DE(seems the most effective, though. After DE bath they seem to leave her alone for like a week then all over again. ><

3. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    I too am having problems with fleas on steriods lol. I have used everything the vet has recommended and treated yard, house and furniture/bedding. Still no luck getting rid of the buggers. Nothing has worked.

4. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Call your vet about getting "Comfortis" it is a once a month flea pill. I will not go back to the others after trying this stuff!!!

5. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    We switched to the comfortis after a summer with fleas on steroids! We tried everything also and nothing worked. This winter I have yet to find a single one.

6. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    This has been the worst year ever for them. I too use prescription flea meds and have not completely rid our pets of them. I have 4 cats (3 inside & in/out) and one dog. I believe it is a combination of the fleas becoming resistant to the meds and in my case, we have a LOT of squirrels. They sit up in the trees all day scratching thier fleas and sprinkling eggs all over my yard. It is a horrible situation and my dog is extremely allergic to them. It makes me cry out of frustration to watch my pets suffer with the constant scratching. During the warm months, it would get so bad that they would jump on us too. I don't see any end in sight. At this point, the only way to be flea free it to not have pets and that is not an option. It makes you feel like a bad owner and a filthy house keeper, but I am spending HUNDREDS of dollars yearly and still not being flea free.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  7. jazzyfizzle

jazzyfizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Northern Ohio
    We have found spot-on treatments to be becoming ineffective, I believe the fleas are becoming resistant.
    Here is the method I use and so far it has been foolproof. Twice a year I spray the yard with two products- 'Archer' and Conquer'. You can also find these sometimes under other brand names, make sure you have the very same ingredients.

You can use a typical yard sprayer- get under and around all objects, keep pets and kids off for about 24 hrs.

On the same day, I dip the dogs in the Happy Jack product- Enduracide.

End of all flea problems. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Another vote for Comfortis. We have our GSD on it. The cats are indoors only and with the comfortis the pup is not bringing any in the house. No flea problem.

9. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    I was actually WANTING to put my dog on that (the vets had signs for it posted both in the waiting room and in the actual check up area) but he told me it wasn't the best option for me as we also have mosquitoes(theres a pond out back) and copious amounts of deer ticks and according to him it only works with fleas. I might be getting it anyway come her yearly checkup when I also need to get her heartworm meds. It's actually not so bad right now because of the unnatural cold we had this week. Buuut for the yard, I heard chickens will eat fleas and ticks - is that true? Another reason to hope my flock starts out as well as I'm hoping.

10. Chicken Chaperone

Chicken Chaperone Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought flea season in our part of the country usually ended long about September but I and most of my neighbors have been seeing a few fleas turning up here and there
    lately which is really odd. I was thinking maybe it was just a fluke but hearing about so many other people here on BYC and across the country having the same situation makes me wonder. Are the fleas
    becoming immune to the 'Frontline', "Advantage' etc. we regularly use? Thank you to the folks here who recommended Comfortis. I'll be looking into that next! Thanks guys and gals!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by