1. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Our dog got loose from the yard and was picked up and sent to the pound a couple months back and brought back with him fleas. They have gotten out of hand in a bad way. I've bathed him and treated him and put a flea collar on him and he is now flea free. For the past 2 weeks Ive sprayed where he was staying since I've moved him elsewhere outside the yard. The spraying has done nothing and the fleas have taken over my yard along with the main coop. I've used Pyrethrin and triazanine and neither seem to have made a dent in them. I ordered a new 50 pound bag of DE yesterday but cant wait for it to get here. Everytime I go out to feed and water I notice them everywhere and am just worried the chickens are gonna get flea bitten next and my boys can't even go outside due to the infestation. I've had dogs all my life and dealt with fleas in the past but this is the worst I've ever seen and can't get them under control and don't need them getting in the house. Anybody have any ideas what to do? I've got deep litter in the coop so I'm sure that will all have to be removed and burned maybe unless the DE does the trick.

2. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Have you tried 7 dust? [​IMG]

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Just as a side...

We lived in a house that was surrounded by 10 acres of wooded area, containing wet leaves and underbrush. We could bathe our dogs, and within 5 minutes of being outside again they had fleas. We sprayed the yard, the dogs, the house, the surrounding underbrush, and any place else we could think of. We finally just gave up and delt with it, until we were able to move. Throughout this entire time, I kept my Silkies in the back yard, very close to the 'tree line.' I never had a problem with fleas on my birds at all.

Now mites.... thats a completely different story. LOL

4. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Actually covered the dogs pen with seven dust when I relocated him and its like they are not affected by it one bit. I'm in the woods myself but always have been and have always been able to get it under control just by taking care of the dogs with frontline but this is extreme for some reason. I was thinking of trying the borax soap but I'm afraid it may poison the chickens. I really hate to call an exterminator but I'm almost to my wits end .

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Once fleas dig in, it's HARD to get rid of them [​IMG] Our yard was HORRIBLE last year...kept the dogs/cats on Frontline Plus and they STILL had fleas on them (lots). And we treated the yard 2X. We didn't use a professional, so that may have made a difference??? Adams really helped us keep them somewhat at bay, but I'm not sure if Adams makes a yard treatment. Since they make dips, sprays, and foggers, I'll bet they make something for the yard. Thankfully they are not as bad this year - maybe they moved to your house [​IMG] Last year when I was pulling my hair out, I read that spraying a mixture of dishwashing liquid/water would repel them, but I never tried it... Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by