1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. tudlytops

tudlytops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2011
    Hiya! All

We have a mumy chicken with one 2 days old baby.[​IMG]

I went to check them today and notice that they have fleas, not sure how to treat them, especially because of the baby one and I am also going to need to treat the other chickens and coops.[​IMG]

Any ideas how to go about getting rid of this fleas?

Thanks

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. billl2099

billl2099 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    try food grade diatomaceous earth,availble at most feed stores for around $25 for 50lbs

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  3. tudlytops

Feb 12, 2011
    Thank you, will see if they have anything like that here.

4. tudlytops

Feb 12, 2011
    Any other ideas, just did a search and don't seam to be able to find it here (ireland).

So in case we can't get it, is there any other things we can try.

Thanks

5. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    this may sound like a stupid question...but I'm new at this...

How do you administer the DE ? Orally or Topically ?

Not to get off the subjuject but....my 2 dogs are battling fleas this season already and frontline isn't touching them....

Has anyone tried DE on Dogs for fleas? Do you just powder them and their bedding down with it ?

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    DE is External use only. Put it in their bedding or in their favorite dusting spot. I put it in the nesting boxes to help deter mites.

I use actual flea powder in their favorite dusting spot occasionally and in 6 years have never had mites or lice where my neighbor battled both on and off for years before trying the flea powder trick and now doesn't have them.

7. tudlytops

Feb 12, 2011
    Thank you, but is there any other ideas, don't think i can get it here and the only one i found in the UK was £80 for 15kg bag, far more then i have...

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Here the recommended treatment would be sevin dust or permethrin spray. Not sure what you have available there. Generally any good flea/tick dog spray should work just fine.

9. coolbreeze

coolbreeze New Egg

May 18, 2011
    try ashes from wood stove as a dusting spot,my chickens had them years back and no more it smotyers the flee;s

10. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:For fleas yes, but DE us actually good to worm them with and it's completely editable NOT External only, just thought you should know. food grade though, not the pool or crap stuff from the feed store I don't know about that. I get mine from my only source of food grade 50 miles away. feed stores carry some mixed with clay stuff.........not sure about that either. Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by