Flemish giant/bunny enclosure help

floridasummer

Songster
7 Years
Apr 11, 2016
Melbourne FL
I got a Flemish giant the other day and I thought she could just roam around but I didn't realize they had been keeping their rabbits outside in a hutch and they are not litter trained. I've been keeping her in the kitchen with a small dog carrier for her "bed" while I'm at work (to keep her safe and clean) and when I come home letting her hang out with us on the couch and walk around the living room. I was wondering how hard it is to litter train, if it's necessary, and if it's OK to keep her in a 48" dog crate while we are at work and then let her have free range while we are home or if that would be considered inhumane.

No that is not at all inhumane. I do not know much about rabbits, and nothing about litter training one. But keeping her in a dog crate while you are at work sounds like a good solution to me.

Thank you. I just didn't know if that's big enough. She's only about 8 or 9 lbs right now but I know she will get pretty big since her dad is 20lbs

Litter training with rabbits is quite simple as they will do most of their pooping in a corner so you can just put the litter tray there and make sure she has lots of toys and hay/grass to keep them busy

She seems to use my lap as her corner hahaha
We'll probably get a crate tomorrow then. She's doing ok with her kitchen set up for now.
Also what are good rabbit toys? I gave her some cardboard stuff like a tiny box and a paper towel roll. I used to raise and rescue pet rats and hamsters and they loved anything wood or cardboard and I figured rabbits would be similar with the teeth situation.

Last edited:
People do litter box train rabbits. Rabbits tend to go in the same place every time, so you will want to put the box in your rabbit's preferred place. Use kitty litter, and put a few of his/her poops in there. If you want it to use the box in, say, the bathroom, then put the litter box in there, in a corner. They usually seek out a corner. Then, put his house in there, but leave the door open, so he can get out. Then close the bathroom door, so he can't get out. Perfect that you want to kennel him while you are at work. Perfect time for training him. After a few days of this, he will be conditioned to using the litter box in the bathroom. Just be sure to keep it in the same place you started with, because, if you move the box, the rabbit will continue to use that corner anyway.
You will also need to "rabbit proof" your house. You can find articles on house rabbits online. Good luck!

I just wanted something she would be secure in while I'm at work or asleep. Those dog fences look nice but she's a Flemish and has the potential to jump 3 feet in the air or more as she gets older. The ones I saw online that were 4 ft tall were only 4x4 and that's barely bigger than the crate I bought. She'll be OK I think in the crate. She has free range in the living room and kitchen when we are home and that's plenty I think for her. I just don't want to risk electrocution if she manages to get out of an NIC pen or dog pen while we're not here

Back
Top Bottom