Flemish Giant Rabbit Refuses to Eat Pellets

MeganSteffens

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
I have a 4 year old Flemish giant who has been eating feed pellets her entire life, as well as a supply of alfalfa. I recently started giving her many more fresh vegetables to keep her healthier. But now she refuses to eat any of her pellets and is growing really thin. She's usually a pretty hefty rabbit. Does anyone know how I can get her back onto her pellets? I'm concerned about her weight.

Try mixing her pellets with oats or another concentrate. Eliminating anything else altogether is a big shock on the rabbit's digestive system. Gradually decrease the amount of oats in the mix until there is only pellets. Then reintroduce treats and concentrates, but fed at another time than the pellets(pellets in the morning, veggies and oats at night, or vice versa).

Pellets and quality hay are the best things for her right now. Vegetables do not necessarily make rabbits healthier. I would stop giving vegetables and offer her just pellets, some hay, and possibly some black oil sunflower seeds or oats. Make sure the pellets are fresh and free of mold and that she has a continuous supply of fresh water available--if rabbits don't have water, they don't eat. If she continues to not eat well, there may be something internally wrong with her.

Back
Top Bottom