Flemish Giant

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sabsandtheflock, Mar 26, 2015.

1. sabsandtheflock

sabsandtheflock Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    I have a Flemmie and he is 26 weeks old now ( 6 1/2 months) and I was just curious as to what his weight should be? I tried weighing him but it was probably not accurate. The scale said he is around 9.5 lbs. does that sound right?

Here are some pics of him

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    The normal weight for a full grown flemish is 10-20 pounds. Kinda a big range, but i have seen smaller ones and larger. can't totally tell from pictures, but he seems a bit on the small side of things, a little bigger than my NZWs. Do you have concerns about something?

He's adorable! [​IMG] I love rabbits :D He's a house pet i'm assuming? If he is, i was wondering if he was neutered? If he isn't, does he spray? I've kept rabbits for years, but my mom finally relented and said i could bring my favorite buck inside as a house pet instead of a breeder. Never kept them inside, only outside :) Thanks!

3. sabsandtheflock

May 12, 2014
    I was just concerned because, I want to make sure he is being fed right. He gets unlimited Timothy grass and water, a bowl of pellets every night and he gets the occasional veggie as a treat. No he is not neutered (cannot afford just yet- maybe in a couple months) and he has not sprayed yet no, would he do it in the litter box maybe? Because he is completely (unless roaming Around) litter box trained. And thank you! He is adorable isn't he? His name is snow

4. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    sounds like a fine diet. You will be able to tell if he get too skinny by their backbone usually...i've had a couple that had worms real bad and they ate twice as much as the others but still consistently lost weight, and it was visible. I had wormed the entire herd a month before hand and just couldn't figure out what was wrong. About ready to take them to a vet to see what going on when i practically slapped myself and remembered they were new and didn't get wormed with them others. wow, i felt so dumb. anyways, if he is losing weight despite eating his normal food, i would worm him (or test him for worms, but i find its easier just to go ahead and worm them).

He has just reach maturity, but he may not develop the spraying habit...i heard that its more common in boys that have been bred before.Also i heard the whole issue with spraying though is the go to the bathroom in the litter box, but spray pee in other place to mark their territory kinda like a dog. i'm no expert on house rabbit though :)

sure! he is cute :) and snows a great name! I have a rabbit named snow too :D I actually breed new zealand white and the breeders are snow, blizzard, winter, storm, flake, flurry, snowball, snowflake, and snowy, lol. I am so original at naming [​IMG]
    [​IMG] this is snow when she was 4 months old

[​IMG] this is bucky, the lucky boy who get to come inside! sorry, bad picture. He is a Harliquin :D

5. sabsandtheflock

May 12, 2014
    Awe! Your rabbits are adorable! I only have the one, took me years to convince my parents. But he has plenty of friends to play with haha. I have a lot of ducks and chickens so. He gets roam of the house for 4 hours a day and he is getting a new cage that is actually just a dog play pen but whatever :)

6. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Thanks!! That's neat! lol, i'm using a dog playpen too...it works :D Yeah, i won them over to rabbits with the fact that i bred meat rabbits. I've managed to allow a inside pet and pet breeds (cute ones i sell instead of eat, lol) as well. They are not a fan of pets, only animals that provide us with some food. They think my dog is the only pet i ever need, but i have different options :p I have tons of chickens and ducks (and quail) too! What kind of ducks do you have?Oh, and how long have you had snow?

7. sabsandtheflock

May 12, 2014
    That's cool, I don't knowing I would do meat rabbits any time soon because I live in the middle of town and have almost no space haha. I have Khaki Campbell ducks, and I have had snow since he was 2 months old, so for around 4 1/2 months :)

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I wonder if your rabbit is a New Zealand White?

9. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    i have some khaki Campbell ducks too...they are pretty neat :) little rabbits are so cute! i remember looking at some older pictures of the herd when i first started it, and its crazy how much they've grown :)

10. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    oh, i also forgot to mention it up there, but he will likely get larger...Flemish giants are mature breeding age when they are 8 months old (compared to 6 months for a lot of other breeds. He will likely still be growing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by