Flemish Giants

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Czech's_chicks, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    My local source passed away and I have found another one not too far...but my question is about pricing...when I originally bought a while ago, I got two papered does for $150. I also got three brothers for $100. They were adults and ready to breed. This new source is selling 8 week old for $100-120. Is that right? I thought that seemed a little steep, but unless I find another source, I either suck it up or give up.

2. CYGChickies

CYGChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Yeah that does seem steep. Although I know Flemish can be costly I didn't know THAT costly. A lot of people around here have them but I haven't seen any $100+ ones yet.

CYG

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Czech's_chicks :

My local source passed away and I have found another one not too far...but my question is about pricing...when I originally bought a while ago, I got two papered does for $150. I also got three brothers for $100. They were adults and ready to breed. This new source is selling 8 week old for $100-120. Is that right? I thought that seemed a little steep, but unless I find another source, I either suck it up or give up.

For CA, yes that is right. Most FG does go for $100-150.​

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I just bought a 10 wk old doe for $50 with her papers. I have 3 FG breeders (that are close) of show quality rabbits and she was only charging $50 whereas the other 2 were 100 - 120.00. Evidently, I got lucky and the other 2 prices are what they are generally charging. I wanted pet quality and maybe that's what mine is but she has her papers and she said I could show her if I wanted. The other breeders were going to charge me 100 for pet quality.

5. jmf_srf

jmf_srf Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I have only seem them at the flea market here (not a good source lol), they always sell non-papered ones for $50 or so..

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Congrats to everyone who has been able to get some of these guys!
    Ive been looking for flemish giants for a while.. every time i think I have a lead on some the person who is being my contact never follows through..
    sooner or later I'll find some..

7. Czech's_chicks

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I appreciate the replies. I guess I will have to bite the bullet.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Czech's_chicks :

I appreciate the replies. I guess I will have to bite the bullet.

For this part of the country, yes. There is a rabbit show in San Bernardino on 8/6 at the Orange Show Fairgrounds and it is free to get in. I know there are usually at least a few FG breeders there and that is not too far from Vista... May be worth the drive...​

9. Czech's_chicks

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    Thank you so much for the info!! I will try to make it there!

10. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    http://www.nffgrb.com/

email
    the director CLOSEST to you, as they are in charge of a district. Ask them if they know any reputable breeders. If you're paying 150+ a rabbit it better be registered with red/white/blue registration from solid SHOW STOCK (not just pedigreed).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by