Flesh eating bacteria? Duck covered in maggots! HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wildlife, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Wildlife

Wildlife Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Mill Spring,NC 28756
    our male drake is covered in maggots and foul smelling brown gook. What is this? Can he be saved? Danger to us humans? Help!

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Wash him off as best you can and go down to the feed store to get some SWAT. I am assuming he has a spot the things are eating into and you want to apply this stuff liberally over the wound. Maggots need to come out for air and it suffocates them. Don't give up on him because I've had a rooster with a pretty significant hole in him they were crawling in and out of. Overnight you might be able to get away with vasaline or neosporine.

3. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I responded to your question on the other thread about the SWAT. When my rooster had them I put him in tub full of water with just a little splash of clorox (maybe a capful or so). I'm wondering if something like adams flea and tick shampoo might be good to. Lather him up and let it sit for a couple minutes. Maybe it'll kill more of the little buggers. Or maybe Dawn Dish Detergent. I know when I washed my rooster, there were always more inside the wound. That's where the SWAT comes in, you cover the wound and the little buggers suffocate. I would think a glob of vaseline would work if nothing else.

4. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

First of all maggots do not eat live tissue. That's why we used medicinal ones to remove dead tissue from bed sores in the nursing homes. Something else has to killing the tissue otherwise they wouldn't be there. I could tell you some stories but they would be off topic. [​IMG]

5. Wildlife

May 26, 2009
    Mill Spring,NC 28756
    Now you're scaring me.I've heard of flesh eating bacteria(HORRER STORIES)That's kinda what I first suspected.I tend to agree that something killed the flesh then came maggots.I worry about the Wife and myself now having just spent quite some time washing and rinsing and handling. Should we be concerned?

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Do you have a lot of black flies down there? It's possibly fly bites, with flies breeding in the wounded tissue.

7. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I know they say they don't eat live tissue but they keep a wound open and created a hole in my roo. I've had chickens die from them before and those things just keep on going until you put a stop to it. If that were true, I don't think there would be products out there to prevent these things. I got rid of the maggots and he healed up just fine. Maybe the ones used for medicinal are different or else they just stop them once the infection is cleared.

8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Well, I'm wondering if the goop already had the maggots in it or it's attracting the fly strike. Either way they'll be gnawing on him pretty soon. You take your chances handling soil and goop in the yard. I'm sure you'd be better off wearing some dish gloves when you handle him. [​IMG] Any bacteria in an open wound.....

9. Wildlife

May 26, 2009
    Mill Spring,NC 28756
    Sorry to say-after MUCH washing and searching and trying to save Eli ,we determined that he was suffering too much with maggots emerging from INSIDE his body cavity from MULTIPLE places.WAY too many to treat with any ointment.Said our good-byes and did the deed just now.Wife is unconsolable.Must look at his life as having been truly WONDERFUL.A beautiful mountain stream to swim in total freedom(he CHOSE to stay with us and his TWO Beautiful Girls! Dolly the older hen has been setting on a clutch for about a week now.I'm REAL concerned now for her now,will be checking on her at FIRST LIGHT.Perhaps Eli will live on as his offspring are born . SAD DAY at our house.I'm going to take a long (and thorough) shower.Thank you all for your thoughtful advice. goodnight will check back in a.m.

10. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Oooohhh boy. Sad indeed. I'm so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by