Fleshy deposits found in nestbox, has my chicken thrown her ovaries?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FranBaker, Jul 13, 2011.

1. FranBaker

FranBaker New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    Hi,
    On two occasions my mother has found a sausage shaped pinkish/white mass in our ex free range chickens nest box. After doing research we found out that it was likely to be a 'lash', signalling that one or more of the chickens were coming to the end of their laying days. Unfortunately all but one of this flock were killed by a fox, so we introduced a new flock of Welsummer pullets and a cockrel to join the lone chicken (and better security!!).

Today my mother found these fleshy deposits in a pile in the chick coop, and again after some research I came across the term 'throwing an ovary', that some chickens actually deposit their ovaries.

Apart from the initial stress of the new flock arriving, the old chicken seems in perfect health (I am assuming that it is the old chicken that produced this, not the pullets).

I am keen to know how common this is and any further information on the matter. If this will be detrimental to the chickens life, and if there is anything we can do to help her?
    Or even if you beleive the deposit is something else?

Thankyou very much,
    I would really appreciate anyones advice,

Francesca

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    What diet are your bird's on?
    Do they have oyster shell available?
    Hard to tell but this material could be egg matter.
    JJ

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    All I can say is YECHHHHHHHHHHH! [​IMG]

4. FranBaker

FranBaker New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    Yes they have a good diet of layers pellets and corn with oyster shell always.

On another forum someone mentioned it could be an 'albumen cast' of the reprductive system of the bird that has built up over time.

Whilst someone else said it looks likt her actual reproductive system has been expelled.

But how on earth could they do that? Surely its 'wired' in with blood vessels and muscles and couldn't be dropped out like that. I'd love to know the answer!

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Could still be egg matter from an egg or eggs gone wrong.....or who knows what! Whatever it is, looks like it was a good idea that it got out! JJ

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I see organ tissues. hmm .

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yuck, I'm surprised there is anything left of the chicken that made that deposit. It looks like everything that should be inside, came out.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i once found a strange mass that i think was egg matter. It looked like the thing on the left of the picture. But you've got all sorts of stuff going on there. Looks like the hen gave herself a hysterectomy. i guess as long as she is eating and drinking and acting normal, you shouldn't worry too much. Maybe someone with more experience will pipe in here soon.

9. judial8907

judial8907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
  10. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Hi,

to me that looks like ovary's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by