Flex Seal Tape

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Eilsel, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Eilsel

Eilsel Songster

Dec 15, 2017
    NE Kansas
    I just want to mention this for anyone who might be interested. When I built my nest boxes I didn't put enough thought into the design, and as a result I had a hinge on the top that allowed rain and snow into the nest boxes. After we had a blizzard in November and my nest box was COMPLETELY FULL of snow, I decided I needed to try something. All stationary gaps I caulked with silicone, but I knew I needed something flexible for the nest box hinge. As a quick fix I decided to try some flex-seal tape, assuming it probably wouldn't last too long and I'd have to come up with a better solution eventually. Well, here we are almost 4 months later and it has really held up amazingly and remained flexible through snow, ice, rain, and sub-zero temperatures. It hasn't cracked, loosened, or shifted at all. The next test will be to see if it melts off this summer! So- while it's not the most polished look, it's a viable option for some coop issues!

Chickassan, Trish1974, Molpet and 5 others like this.
  2. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Flex seal has grown up over the years but good to hear it worked

3. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    What else do I get if I act now and purchase the Flex Seal Tape? Give me! GIVE ME!!

Eilsel and mowin like this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You mean this stuff..."as seen on TV"??

5. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Crowing

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    We used a piece of trim and a bit of rubber sheeting to go over the hinges. It came later as we, too, hadn't considered water running in.

6. Eilsel

Eilsel Songster

Dec 15, 2017
    NE Kansas
    That very stuff! I happened to pick it up at the hardware store though. Here you can see what my nest box looks like, the black stripe at the top (below the disgruntled chicken who didn't make it to the coop before bedtime that night) is the flex-seal tape covering the hinge. It was VERY sticky and pretty thick but pliable.

IMG_1810.jpg

aart likes this.
  7. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I love flex seal! The tape, the spray on stuff too.
    I used the spray to seal nail holes in the coop roof and waterproof seams, so far it has held up to one summer and winter.:)

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ha! I've seen it on TV of course....but there's section with all that TV stuff a local chain drugstore.

9. Good to hear you got an effective solution! Hope your tip helps someone else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: