Flex Seal Tape

Eilsel

Songster
Dec 15, 2017
NE Kansas
I just want to mention this for anyone who might be interested. When I built my nest boxes I didn't put enough thought into the design, and as a result I had a hinge on the top that allowed rain and snow into the nest boxes. After we had a blizzard in November and my nest box was COMPLETELY FULL of snow, I decided I needed to try something. All stationary gaps I caulked with silicone, but I knew I needed something flexible for the nest box hinge. As a quick fix I decided to try some flex-seal tape, assuming it probably wouldn't last too long and I'd have to come up with a better solution eventually. Well, here we are almost 4 months later and it has really held up amazingly and remained flexible through snow, ice, rain, and sub-zero temperatures. It hasn't cracked, loosened, or shifted at all. The next test will be to see if it melts off this summer! So- while it's not the most polished look, it's a viable option for some coop issues!

You mean this stuff..."as seen on TV"??

That very stuff! I happened to pick it up at the hardware store though. Here you can see what my nest box looks like, the black stripe at the top (below the disgruntled chicken who didn't make it to the coop before bedtime that night) is the flex-seal tape covering the hinge. It was VERY sticky and pretty thick but pliable.

IMG_1810.jpg

Back
Top Bottom